Alternative sash clamps to record

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to maybe buy another 4 sash clamps to add to the 4 record ones I bought about 12 years ago. Just wondering whether anyone can recommend an alternative to the irwin record ones as they are just a little too pricey.

I don't want cheap ones though that bend a great deal when you put the pressure on.

I have heard mixed reviews about the rutland clamps that they have on offer once in a while?

In the past I have used cheap and expensive sash clamps, both I and T section, but I have mainly used the record 130's? clamp heads for timber bars for over twenty years. I have 3 foot and 5 foot ash "bars", the 5 foot bars deeper in section. I have been very pleased with these, particularly liking the lightweight nature of the clamps meaning no excessive weight on what ever I am clamping.
I recently bought 10 off Axminsters pipe clamp heads. I considered the Pony make, but was put off by the price, and favourable reviews on the Axminsters own make saying its not worth paying the extra. I was not happy with one of ten sent, and upon contacting Axminsters had another one sent out free of charge. I bought some galvanised gas barrel, borrowed the relevant pipe thread die off a plumber friend and made myself some 2 1/2 foot bar clamps. I made up 9mm birch plywood shoes that have integral feet. I am very pleased with these clamps and use them as my first choice.
If starting from scratch I would go for pipe clamps. These are one of the good thing to come out of America.

Colin

eribaMotters":fg97em46 said:
In the past I have used cheap and expensive sash clamps, both I and T section, but I have mainly used the record 130's? clamp heads for timber bars for over twenty years. I have 3 foot and 5 foot ash "bars", the 5 foot bars deeper in section. I have been very pleased with these, particularly liking the lightweight nature of the clamps meaning no excessive weight on what ever I am clamping.
I recently bought 10 off Axminsters pipe clamp heads. I considered the Pony make, but was put off by the price, and favourable reviews on the Axminsters own make saying its not worth paying the extra. I was not happy with one of ten sent, and upon contacting Axminsters had another one sent out free of charge. I bought some galvanised gas barrel, borrowed the relevant pipe thread die off a plumber friend and made myself some 2 1/2 foot bar clamps. I made up 9mm birch plywood shoes that have integral feet. I am very pleased with these clamps and use them as my first choice.
If starting from scratch I would go for pipe clamps. These are one of the good thing to come out of America.

Colin
Thanks Colin. Never considered pipe clamps, but will have a look into them

tomatwark":31qup4oo said:
I have 12 of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod836668/

They are a good copy of the record ones, they may even be made in the same factory as the current models.

They are streets ahead of the Rutlands ones, which are rubbish.

Tom
That's a good price if you purchase 6. Given your comments and Axminsters good customer service I think I will take a punt on those.

Thanks

Please excuse the bump, I'm after the same thing, so thought it better than starting a new thread.

tomatwark":2bik4o8h said:
I have 12 of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod836668/

They are a good copy of the record ones, they may even be made in the same factory as the current models.

They are streets ahead of the Rutlands ones, which are rubbish.
The Rutland clamps (http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/cl ... ash-clamps) look almost identical to the Axminster ones. Have you/anyone compared them side by side? There's a fair difference in price, but if the Rutland ones are made with cheaper steel (or is there something else wrong with them?) then I guess it's not worth it.

Thanks

Triggaaar":3jd3n9ng said:
The Rutland clamps (http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/cl ... ash-clamps) look almost identical to the Axminster ones.

I would say only insofar as any 'regular' sash clamp looks the same as any other once painted the same colour - the casting of the stops is a different shape, which should probably place it in a completely different factory from the get-go; even if you were making the same model with expensive, superior iron for one customer and cheaper, inferior iron for another, I don't see why you'd use different moulds/dies/whatever-they-use.

That said, I also don't really understand how it could possibly be difficult to make a half-decent sash clamp, they're not exactly the most complex pieces of machinery requiring fine tolerances or anything... (!)

(And that said, Rutlands are only selling the singles at the minute - the 6-pack is 'out of stock' - and the singles are still cheaper from Axminster... who have the better reputation and the recommendation here. So it seems like no contest, to me!)

Thanks for the reply.
JakeS":r52fgn44 said:
That said, I also don't really understand how it could possibly be difficult to make a half-decent sash clamp, they're not exactly the most complex pieces of machinery requiring fine tolerances or anything... (!)
Indeed.

(And that said, Rutlands are only selling the singles at the minute - the 6-pack is 'out of stock' - and the singles are still cheaper from Axminster... who have the better reputation and the recommendation here. So it seems like no contest, to me!)
I don't particularly need them at the moment, but I will, so will just grab them when the price is right. I've found more results in the search, and it seems that most aren't particularly pleased with the Dakotas. The Axminster and Record/Power are more popular, so I shall get those instead.

Thanks

Have you thought about making your own wooden sash cramps using bought hardware.

You can make them as long or as short as you want and swap hardware between different ones as needed.

James C":2gu1jj4q said:
Have you thought about making your own wooden sash cramps using bought hardware.
Not really. My skills are fairly basic, and I don't know anyone else that's handy, so I don't see things like that to get inspiration from. I should search for wooden sash cramps and see what it's about...

Here is an example of what kind of hardware you can use, but then again it could probably be cheaper to get some sash cramps from axminster.

Back