Along came a SWAGMAN! Say HI to Billy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
A few weeks back...our dear Antipodean member of this parish showed us all a beautiful woodie toothing coffin plane he'd made.

CLICK HERE TO SEE FULL THREAD

I have long admired the work of the "Swagman" but this particular example was both the pinnacle of his craft and something I needed for some particularly ornery wood I will be working soon (don't ask! :roll: ) and so I decided I needed one of these.

A few PMs and some superb work by Australia Post and a package arrived this very morning...ALFIE told me...which amazed me since he only sent it to me exactly ONE WEEK ago!

There will be no silly "unboxing" pictures with this one..but the box it came in said it contained an "iron"....which it did....as well as this....

20140820_131243.jpg

This is one example of something which no picture can describe because it is so beautiful in real life and feels like the dictionary definition of "tactile"....it's wonderful to hold and behold alike!

20140820_131517.jpg

The craftsmanship is outstanding....and it's like a maze of perfection in that every time I look at it I find a little nuance that I hadn't noticed before...like the way the side chamfers blend together at the rear...that's just pure poetry.

The geometry is perfection...

20140820_131739.jpg

...just lay it on a flat surface. Let the iron bottom out....tap the wedge in and the teeth of the Great White are ready for action...lovely stuff.

It is really late over here Stewie...so I will leave the action shots and review until a more sensible hour but I could not go up the wooden hill without posting a few pictures.

I am with no exaggeration...thrilled with "Billy" and if you haven't worked out why he's called "Billy" yet...then rerun the lyrics of "Waltzing Matilda"...or perhaps the fact that I photographed it by our little pond might be a bit of a giveaway!

Cheers Stewie....you are a master of your art. =D> =D>

Jimi

jimi43,

That is certainly a work of art, you have every right to brag on that. Swagman is quite the artist, I am sure you will be smiling, from ear to ear, each time you use it, or just look at it. Jamey

swagman":3adv8mlc said:
Thanks Jimi. Billy makes sense now.

Stewie;

And very apt too because a billy goat has the tendency to be able to cope with anything in sight!

The engineering company has said the Richard T infill plane is now ready...have to go pick that up but will be back later to do some tests on this sunny day in Kent!

Jimi

Ok...owing to a slight cock-up on the infill bun front...I had a slight delay on reviewing this one but the sun came out today so I did a few coats of Tru-Oil on the panel plane and then took Billy out for a test run.

Remember that Partridgewood I mentioned before...

20140822_165449.jpg

Well I remember talking to Philly about this a while back CLICK FOR THE BLOG ARTICLE ON PHIL's WEBSITE

....and you can see, even the experts have problems with this little game bird! The tearout is only in one place...near a knot...Harry and Ginger coped with the rest...so now is the time to see what Billy can do...over to Billy....

20140822_170607.jpg

I think that's quite impressive!

I have a way to go yet but most of the deep tearout has gone and the rest going fast...

The "shavings" are actually "snakings"....

20140822_171123.jpg

...and as you can see...Billy has some formidable teeth...like a Great White eh Stewie!? :shock:

So yes...it DOES perform as well as it looks...

20140822_170734.jpg

...and the mouth clears beautifully..just one blow.

Stewie has definitely sorted the geometry of these mystical beasts out...and that's no mean feat.

So I thought as a parting shot..I would send you a picture Stewie mate...

2014-08-22%2017.18.19.jpg

AIRMAIL of course!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers

Jimi.

Well done Jimi. Its great to see Billy in action. Looks like your on the right track to taming that Partridge Wood. (hammer)

Could this be the impetus that generates a renewed interest in the use of toothing planes...

Time will tell.

Its guys like you Jimi that are willing to take on that challenge and give them ago who will play the major role in their future long term revival.

If I have played a small role in renewing that interest then I am well pleased to have taken part.

Appreciate the review Jimi.

regards; Stewie.

Back