Almost done

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I am almost done on my second project a coffee table, just the top to make now. Here are some pics.
col072.jpg

[/img]
col076.jpg

col193.jpg

[/img]
col200.jpg

col194.jpg

[/img]
col197.jpg

[/img]
col282.jpg

col283.jpg

[/img]
col286.jpg

col284.jpg

[/img]
col285.jpg

As you can see i have a nice out door work shop :) ( back yard :( )
but it dose the job, only on fine days :(

Hope you like the pics.

SCOTT :D

Hi Scott

Nice work looks like its going to a good one. Have you hand cut the mortices and dovetails. What woods have you used.

All the best

Neil

Very nice, i like your outside shots with the piece of worktop in the back :wink: I have some like that too outside

But the colour contrast on the wood is very nice 8)

Scott,

It's showing off you handiwork nicely - well done!

I too am interested in the wood. In the first picture it looks like black walnut and ash but the stretchers look like purple heart (a white balance issue or the wood?)

Thank you guys.

The mortices are not cut by hand but the dovetails are, I cut them with a japanese saw ( its my new fav tool ). :D

As for the wood it is ash and walnut, when I bought it was all in the same pile so being a novice I thought it would be all the same :? , but some of it is purple like you say. Looks like I have learnt something new, I will look out for more of this purple heart wood. Its beautiful is it hard to find or did I get lucky agian :) .

Ooo, striking piece, Scott. Proper job. That contrast is a real test of joinery; I sit in awe and shuffle my own paltry efforts behind large potted plants.

Could the purple be an example of the oft-mentioned exciting colours you get in air-dried walnut? That's my guess based on the fact the sapwood on the walnut hasn't turned the same colour as the heartwood, as it does in kiln-dried. Of course this is all theoretical as far as I'm concerned, no real world experience of air-dried walnut. But an educated guess. If that is it then enjoy the colour while you may; apparently it doesn't last. :(

Cheers, Alf

It's already a striking success and it isn't even finished yet :eek: ! My breath is bated in anticipation of the outcome.

Gill

Scott,

Nice work - looks good. Whats the top going to be made from?

Could the purple be an example of the oft-mentioned exciting colours you get in air-dried walnut? That's my guess based on the fact the sapwood on the walnut hasn't turned the same colour as the heartwood, as it does in kiln-dried

I'm with you on this Alf. I've got some and it looks similar - this also being the same that was worm affected. I've had it a yera or two and its still pretty purple so hopefully it won't fade a s soon as I use it.

Cheers

Tim

The top is going to be walnut edged with ash.

After I had made the frame I went to check the boards and :( :oops: I had made the frame a little to big :oops: . So the ash should cover up this mistake :oops: . Here are some pics of the top as it is now, its not finished yet just sanded down with 60git

col304.jpg

col303.jpg

I may put an inlay in the ash but i've run out of walnut, I cant think of another wood that will go with it. Maybe another wood will be to much :? .

I will post pics when its done.

SCOTT :D [/img]

Thank you all for your kind comments, it has given me a real lift to think that fine craftsmen and women like yourselves think my work has potential :)

And it nice to see another person from the valleys ( Hello Barry ) on this site :D :D , I grew up in Nantyglo :D

Thanks again

You're on to something there Alf.

Alf":1wuljn5x said:
Could the purple be an example of the oft-mentioned exciting colours you get in air-dried walnut? That's my guess based on the fact the sapwood on the walnut hasn't turned the same colour as the heartwood, as it does in kiln-dried. Of course this is all theoretical as far as I'm concerned, no real world experience of air-dried walnut. But an educated guess. If that is it then enjoy the colour while you may; apparently it doesn't last.

There is a technique in kilning of introducing high heat and steam into a batch of walnut (and other species such as American cherry, beech, steamed pear, etc.) that activates the water based extractives that cause the colour in the first place. This, simplistically and perhaps not totally accurately described, forces the extractives to migrate to other areas of the wood thus evening out the colour somewhat, even to affecting the sapwood to some extent.

Air dried stuff, not subject to such treatment, retains the original colour pattern so at first opening up, the wood usually exhibits more colour variation and patterns.

No matter, when using either source of walnut, oxidation and UV light usually quickly takes care of any colour variation rapidly leading to the wood taking on a honeyed brown as you noted-- about a year usually does it.

There are other differences between working air dried and kiln dried woods, but that wasn't the point you raised. Slainte.

Back