Alluminium bi fold doors any recomendation for supply and fit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the title really, we have a large upvc window unit and door which I want to replace with a bi fold door I have bbeen recommended to get alluminium as they are less inclined to sag! Anyone any thoughts or recomendations?

I recently bought a bi-fold from Glass Openings in Luton. No issues fitting it and been very pleased with it so far. Great customer service and their site is good to use to specify the door. There are only a few different aluminium profiles used in these doors. I looked around at various options but due to C19 it was tricky to get any details out of some manufacturers. I compared the doors I bought to Origin which are at the more premium end and could not see any real differences. We have integral blinds in our doors which can influence the price a lot. Also if you go for a 'standard' size, it can be a little cheaper than a custom size but that will depend on the opening. I went for a custom size that was only slightly smaller than a standard but it fitted perfectly (The bifold replaced an ancient single glazed wooded window).

Things to bear in mind
- Measure carefully and ensure the opening is square. You want a snug fit with only around 10mm around. I fitted to a rendered outside wall so there was very little damage and putting a trim strip was simple to cover the small gap
- Decide if you want internal blinds - the blinds alone for a 3 door bi-fold are typically £1k
- Cill height needs to be taken into consideration. My understanding is that if you want a flush cill to the outside you need to consider rain ingress and most manufacturers advise against a flush cill for indoor to outside doors - not an issue for me as I had a higher cill.

Depends on your budget, Origin have a good reputation but are expensive (apparently - never used them).

I can totally recommend The origin bi folds, as bjm said they aren’t the cheapest but I had more expensive quotes from other companies.
This comes from a project management view, I’ve used them a lot over the last 2 years and never had any Bad feedback or call backs.

Depends on your budget, Origin have a good reputation but are expensive (apparently - never used them).
We went with Origin 6 years ago and we're very pleased with it. The price depends on the installer. We had quotes from 7k to 10k for the same item. We went for the lowest and they did an excellent job.
Brian

Daughter took the cheap route in terms of quality and fitting. Were referred to as "the bi-polar doors" and gave nothing but trouble. Don't take the cheapest route.

Daughter took the cheap route in terms of quality and fitting. Were referred to as "the bi-polar doors" and gave nothing but trouble. Don't take the cheapest route.
In our case the supplier has been in business for many years with a good reputation. They chose Origin after poor results from other manufacturers. I agree that the lowest price is not necessarily the way to go.
Brian

for a more panoramic view consider sliding doors

or often overlooked is the good old French doors with sidelights -which are often more sympathetic to room layouts.

Duration do decent bifolds at a reasonable price, not quite the quality engineering of origin, but still good

avoid upvc.

Back