All That Glitters ............... BBC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the jewellery thing? If so I thought it was unsuitable for TV, time jeopardy with making jewellery is silly, and neither of the "experts" were suitable for TV (or radio). The format does not work. I think part o the problem is everything is tiny, and difficult to film the basic tasks of sawing tiny things, soldering tiny things, filing tiny things and occasionally accidentally melting tiny things. Not aspirational, practical or viable for the average punter.

I didn't think it as bad as the critics did, but Catherine Ryan was definitely a poor choice of compere. I didn't know who either of the experts were but the woman has a lot of history and experience (if you research her). They didn't come over particularly well, though.
I quite enjoyed it, although whether it would appeal to someone with zero knowledge I can't say. I don't think time jeopardy is unreasonable in a professional setting, they have to charge the work to the customer so have to have something to base it on (though at the upper end of the market they probably dream of a figure, add a bit, treble it then put VAT on it 🙂 )
I thought the little treble clef and penguin brooch was a worthy winner - I'd have been proud of that one.

Yes, I'm sure this will get the usual moans about it from various members.

My view is:-
Firstly, any TV programme other than straight live work is always going to be contrived in some way. That's the nature of it, even Sir David A's programmes are susceptible to this. If you have people competing, there MUST be a time frame. How many people really enjoyed the 'Timeless Test Matches'?

Secondly, any programme with some craft content is worthwhile if it stimulates new or very amateur participants. We don't want 'Closed Shops' surely?

Finally, yes, I think the penguin/clef was super. I also like the fact that we were able to see some of the sketches and no, I can't bear CR either, but then I stopped watching Bake Off due to the new inane presenters so either CR is less annoying, less of a presence or the subject is more interesting to me!!

Anyway, I know the Jewellery Quarter very well, my wife designed her engagement ring and I had it made there. We've bought/had repaired a number of items and the place is well worth a visit, especially the 3 museums.

Phil (no association with the Birmingham Tourist Board!!)

Watched it and found it OK apart from the presenter (n) As already said the penguin on the Clef was very nice indeed and quite a contrast to the previous piece he made which not only did not fit the brief but to my untrained eye looked bloody awful :poop:.

I certainly enjoy these type of competition/reality shows, which include Bake Off, Pottery Throwdown, Sewing Bee or even the American glass blowing programme "Blown Away". The format seems to have settled on a particular format with a generally annoying, unfunny and irritating presenter (the exception being Noel Fleming and Sandi Toksvaig). This latest competition/reality show is good, although both the presenter CR (where did they find her?) and the rather sombre and dour judge could do with a bit of 'shake-up'.

Whether its food, fabric, clay or glass , it is really inspiring to watch people with great skills, imagination and humility create something that can be appreciated by all. Yes its a competition, but its heartening to see that all the 'contestants' supporting each other.

And yes Hugo's Penguin Treble Clef was beautiful

I've watched it so far, and quite enjoy it. Don't know who the presenter is but she's a bit irritating (but not as much as that camp loony on Sewing Bee). Will watch more.

+1 for the broach by Hugo (?). Watching the techniques (though clearly not a tutorial) interests me very much.

Dislike the "artificial time constraints element" of all these shows, but accept Phil's point above about doing it (almost anything) for a living means you have to move along to stay profitable.

Not watched it (my wife started and switched off after 10 minutes) - but the title is wrong - the quote is "All that GLISTERS is not gold" - and this is where it came from (appropriately today, The Bard's birthday)

“All that glisters is not gold;
Often have you heard that told:
Many a man his life has sold
But my outside to behold:
Gilded tombs do worms enfold
Had you been as wise as bold,
Your in limbs, in judgment old,
Your answer had not been in'scroll'd
Fare you well: your suit is cold.' Cold, indeed, and labour lost: Then, farewell, heat and welcome, frost!”

― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Not watched it (my wife started and switched off after 10 minutes) - but the title is wrong - the quote is "All that GLISTERS is not gold" - and this is where it came from (appropriately today, The Bard's birthday)

I expect the title is right. It's the title they chose.🙂
Out of curiosity - has your wife any jewellery/silversmithing experience?

While I have a great interest in silversmithing etc, I couldn't bring myself to sit through that kind of show, I suspect the interesting bits are a matter of minutes amongst the rest of the hour.

I didn't find it as bad as the critics found it ............ mind, often I find things the critics pan quite good.
For supposedly pro/semi pro people I found a few of the mistakes basic - e.g. one moaning that the solder line was messy ................... yes, because you lagged the item in flux. I was surprised to see so many clumsy torches.
I was interested in the design side, it's the part I find hard - I couldn't draw a straight line.

I must say I too enjoyed it ("different strokes ........... " and all that). In defence of the title (I didn't know that it should be "glistens" BTW), not only can the producers call any programme whatever they like, as pointed out above, but also it seems to me that "All that glitters" is a phrase that's in common daily usage, albeit amongst the non-Shakespearean experts.

Perhaps it's to my shame, but during school years I avoided Willi as much as I could, and since leaving school I've never re-visited him. Again "different strokes .................. ". :)

I loathed Shakespeare at school. 50+ years later I still do. 🙂

Thanks for that Phil. What I was trying to say (above) but you've done it FAR more sucintly.

Edit for a P.S. Without looking it up (too lazy) shouldn't succintly (above) have 2 x "c"s? Apparently not (not according to the in-built spell checker here anyway). :confused:

My daughter in the USA made jewellry as a hobby while employed, and now uses it to supplement her pension, so will be interesting to hear what she says if/when it becomes legally available there.

Latest posts

Back