All That Glitters ............... BBC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well dickm, as said, it's definitely NOT any sort of tutorial. In fact if you/she has any interest in the subject, you may find it annoying/not worth watching. Personally I found that one needs to try and sort out the "techniques" for yourself, often against the - to me - rather annoying babble from the presenter which seems to be an integral part of all these "game show" type TV productions.

Nevertheless I enjoyed watching it and found it generally interesting, even though I shall never make a piece of jewelry myself. OTOH, as you'll have seen from some of the previous comments, quite a few didn't enjoy the show at all.

I expect the title is right. It's the title they chose.🙂
Out of curiosity - has your wife any jewellery/silversmithing experience?

No - she just didn't think the format worked (and she has little interest in jewellery - phew! ;) (y)) - Bake Off, Sewing Bee and the Pottery show were of interest to her . . . where the format did work.

I quite enjoyed it ( anything that showcases skilled people using their hands) but the presenter who can be quite good on some comedy programmes was definitely the wrong present for this one.Can I also add I think Jay Blades is the wrong presenter for the Repair Shop,just saying

First, I have to say that Hugo's Penguin/Treble Clef Brooch I saw as a winner at the design stage - as long as he could pull it off - and he did in spades.

I'm also irritated by Catherine Ryan but that maybe down to the programme format since I avoid virtually all similar offerings due to the presenter chosen. Repair Shop & Jay Blades being a prime example.

I do 'dabble' in silversmithing (and have my own 'mark') so do have an interest and tend to agree with most of the previous comments about how the show works. It's also interesting for me since my grandson (who lives with me to give him access to my workshop) is also dabbling so we can compare notes and opinions - with 53 years between us it can be telling.

Like @robgul I immediately picked up the 'error' in the title (@AES - it's "Glisters" not "Glistens") but I have to correct him on the 'birthday'. Shakespeare was Baptized on 26th April and that is the only reference we have as to his birth date but it is generally observed on 23rd April not 24th as @robgul stated. It is possible that he got the information by listening to Classic fm since at least two presenters on there made the same mistake yesterday.

Last edited:
Considering what the alternatives on TV are it was not that bad. It did bring back some memories of when we used to make things like that but it was not enough though to make us get the tools out again.. I

remember that casting was difficult and the smell of burnt cuttlefish. Enamelling was even harder though as they found out. AHHH the good old days

AQ

There's no doubt about Shakespeare's death being on 23rd and the generally accepted DoB is 23rd.

[EDIT] Apologies @Phil Pascoe - I mis-read your comment as 'either the 23rd or 24th' rather than 23rd of the 4th !! :oops:

I've used the Cervantes link in a quiz question along with many others which rely upon the Julian/Gregorian paradox.

Last edited:
I must admit there is one feature of these type of shows and that is at the start with the words "coming up....." or "on todays show......", which are essentially spoilers for people like me who like to be surprised and are not just waiting for what was shown in the prequel. I don't want to know what's going to happen in this show or next weeks. While i'm well into this rant, the other irritating thing is the "recap" after the constant advert breaks. One of the show we used to watch was "Escape to the Chateau - DIY", which over an 40 minute show , included something like only 50 - 60% new footage, the rest was made up of credits, adverts and recap.
Fortunately, I have become very adept with the fast-forward on our recorded shows.
BTW, Jay Blades only ever seems to be making the 'other' crafters cups of tea.

I think the big problem is TV companies seeking to 'repurpose' comedians as presenters. Generally, this has proved a disaster! I like Catherine Ryan - as a comedian. She has the wry approach of a Canadian over the 'in yer face' attitude of an American. But look at all the other quiz and craft shows and the like that are compered by comedians - mostly awful. The only one that's been a roaring success (in my view!) is Bradley Walsh on The Chase. He is excellent.

Back