all rounder finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike s

Established Member
Reaction score
up until now i have been using mylands wipe on polyurethane laquer for the majority of my projects
now i have ran out i want to know if there is an even better finish that people use that is slightly cheaper than the poly i use.
i mainly use oak and pine and for the majority of projects want a relatively glossy finish,
what should i go for?
i want something fairly quick applying and setting as i dont have the patience required to do 50 coats with sanding to one million grit in between!
i use oil occasionally but for most projects i prefer using a varnish-like finish
it doesnt have to be exterior grade, just something high quality for interior fine pieces
thanks

Have you tried Hard Wax Oil as a compromise between 'Varnish' and Plain oils.

I use chestnuts version, gloss level can be increased with multiple coats but it seems pretty robust and provides a good measure of spill resistance.

thanks chas
its about the same price as the poly
iv researched it a little and looks like just the thing

Try a wiped oil/varnish finish.

Mix 1/3 each of danish oil, polyurethane varnish and turps. Wipe on then immediately wipe off again. Allow to dry. Repeat 3 or 4 times. Easy, quick and pretty hard wearing.

Back