aligning columns of text in email

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at the end of my tether, almost ready to hit myself on the head with a plant pot in frustration :evil: :evil: :evil:

I've tried over and over to align 4 columns of text in a table using 1&1 Webmail.

I've tried using tabs, spaces, under-scores (with the text colour set to white so they're invisible), importing tables from Word, importing tables from Excel, making a table using 1&1 itself (ridiculously frustratingly difficult)

Every time I get it looking ok I save it as a draft, or send it to myself/other email address, the spacings are jumbled up and the document looks very unprofessional, and it has to be good because it's for work.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Mark

Does Webmail have different fonts?
If it does have you tried using mono-spaced (fixed-pitch or non-proportional) ones such as Courier?

mark aspin":ubruk3uj said:
I'm at the end of my tether, almost ready to hit myself on the head with a plant pot in frustration :evil: :evil: :evil:

I've tried over and over to align 4 columns of text in a table using 1&1 Webmail.

I've tried using tabs, spaces, under-scores (with the text colour set to white so they're invisible), importing tables from Word, importing tables from Excel, making a table using 1&1 itself (ridiculously frustratingly difficult)

Every time I get it looking ok I save it as a draft, or send it to myself/other email address, the spacings are jumbled up and the document looks very unprofessional, and it has to be good because it's for work.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Mark

Why not just do it in word\excel and then send as email attachment?

Unfortunately I can't send an attachment as I'm canvassing so all the information has to be viewable straight away, otherwise they'll probably not bother

I believe I am correct in saying that email uses HTML for layout purposes. If that is the case you ain't gonna do it simply as HTML does not tolerate two consequtive spaces, unless special coding is used.
If you are up to it, one way may be to set out your table in a HTML wysiwyg editor and paste it, including coding, into the body of the email.

Then again some word editors allow layouts to be saved in HTML and that would do away with the need for a wysiwyg editor. Having said that the results in terms of coding tend to be cumbersome from those sources.

HTH
xy

9fingers":2e5ozqv8 said:
Convert the table to a .jpg and insert it as a picture?

Bob

That is the only way I can see you achieving it.

Regardless of which font you try and use clients e-mail settings may well be set to remove surplus spaces in text etc.

That is why so many company mail shots are formatted with images.

Oh! You've got me thinking, always a bad thing!

I generated a table in Libre Office Writer, saved it as HTML, reopened it selected all and copy/pasted it into the body of an email. Yeah! It worked

I did exactly the same but saved in .rtf format, unfortunatley when I opened it up I had to select all by using a large mouse sweep, copy/pasted it into the body of an email and again it worked!

By the way, Libre Office is free and is basically 'Son of Open Office'. How those methods would work with dear old Microsoft Office Word, or any other similar software I cannot say.

xy

I assume you were using HTML e-mail, how does it perform in plain text, some clients may have html disabled for security reasons.

Hi everyone

yes, a JPEG image of the table works, but is only immediately viewable by the email addresses in my contacts list.

Any others block the image of the tables from being visible, unless you actually click on "show image" I just created hotmail, gmail and yahoo mail accounts to check and this is the case.

This wouldn't work for what I need to do, as I'm canvassing companies who may click delete without waiting for the image to be shown.

I'll try saving the table as a HTML document and then inserting it into the email

Thanks,
Mark

Sorry guys, mark,Chas. As Chas correctly suggested the methods I outlined above do not work if the email client/reader is set for text only body text. :oops: :oops:
xy

Back