AliExpress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do find it ironic that through using the likes of Banggood and Aliexpress as UK consumers we're powering the economy of a country that has just been called out as a major threat by the Head of MI6.
Having lived outside the UK for over 30 years now I see that much of what is told to the population is in fact self serving and twists the situation so that everyone seems to believe that mostly the ā€œright thingā€ is being done or things are being done in the best way possible. There are many examples of that mostly itā€™s by higher government. Most of them fuelled by greed or giving to your friends so they will give to you.

All of that doesnā€™t mean that China isnā€™t a major threat, but equally just because the head of MI6 says it is doesnā€™t make it true.

I have never used them, so had a quick look. Is this for real?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...mmend-ump;is_freeshipping:null;trade_order:24
I don't really need any of it, but at that price!? $7 US with free shipping. Really?

Edit: a marginally closer reading of the ad suggests it is actually a metal sign I would be buying, rather than real Makita kit. Still, it would look nice on the wall
Yes, definitely metal signs, wonder how many will fall for it, if not reading the listing properly!

I use it (and banggood) continually. Iā€™ve noted in other posts that itā€™s like Xmas here endless times a yearā€¦..small packages they may be but that matters not šŸ˜€

I've used Ali and Banggood. They're often great if it's stuff you've had a recommendation on. How is it even possible to ship it here at the price is beyond me.

The "China Tools" reviews guy on youtube shows off some of the better stuff:
https://www.hookedonwood.online/China-Tools-Ranking/I've bought a few based on his reviews and would entirely agree with his grading.

Conversely, I used to sometimes buy from Germany (Dieter Schmid, Fine Tools etc), and often music stuff (Thomann). Usually a higher grade of item and more expense, but the post-brexit charges mean unless it's something extremely unusual, I probably won't be buying again from there.

I buy local and if I cant get a Uk made item I do without And you guys who give your bank details to foriegn companys must be of your nuts. Use paypal folks.

I believe AliExpress and Lazada are both owned and operated as a sub service within the Alibaba group. Used AliExpress half a dozen times myself, no issues as long as you don't mind waiting for it.

I do find it ironic that through using the likes of Banggood and Aliexpress as UK consumers we're powering the economy of a country that has just been called out as a major threat by the Head of MI6.
Do you really believe that, the head of MI6 probably does not even know what day of the week it is, and what he is really saying is a major economic threat because with such a growing economy the last thing they need is a war, and the last thing we need is a war we can only lose. In reality the UK is nothing more than a nit hiding in the fur of the USA and hoping if we need protection that beast will help.

It all goes back to you get what you pay for, quality can be had to some extent but not guaranteed, buy ten and maybe one or two will cut it on a good day.

Look at some of the reviews,

If I could give zero stars I would. This is a scam website. Buy from AliExpress and be assured you will be contacting your payment provider to dispute the transaction.

Would have given no stars, but you need to give something, goods arrived in good time, but even the child they were meant for could see it was junk and poor quality junk at that I've opened a dispute, but fear I'll hear no more, don't be fooled it's all fake and poor fake at that

Horrible, horrible, horrible, beyond horrible, customer service. Paid for item on my credit card. Never received item. Never received an order number, so never able to search for my order. Tried calling 10x. "Leave a message and get a call back." NEVER received a call back message. Write an email. Email address is not recognized. Never received item. Never got a callback. Never ever any ability to communicate with Aliexpress. Total scam. Will NEVER do business with them again. Beware!!!

and the list goes on with 1.3 stars on trust site.

Do you really believe that, the head of MI6 probably does not even know what day of the week it is, and what he is really saying is a major economic threat because with such a growing economy the last thing they need is a war, and the last thing we need is a war we can only lose. In reality the UK is nothing more than a nit hiding in the fur of the USA and hoping if we need protection that beast will help.

It all goes back to you get what you pay for, quality can be had to some extent but not guaranteed, buy ten and maybe one or two will cut it on a good day.

Look at some of the reviews,

If I could give zero stars I would. This is a scam website. Buy from AliExpress and be assured you will be contacting your payment provider to dispute the transaction.

Would have given no stars, but you need to give something, goods arrived in good time, but even the child they were meant for could see it was junk and poor quality junk at that I've opened a dispute, but fear I'll hear no more, don't be fooled it's all fake and poor fake at that

Horrible, horrible, horrible, beyond horrible, customer service. Paid for item on my credit card. Never received item. Never received an order number, so never able to search for my order. Tried calling 10x. "Leave a message and get a call back." NEVER received a call back message. Write an email. Email address is not recognized. Never received item. Never got a callback. Never ever any ability to communicate with Aliexpress. Total scam. Will NEVER do business with them again. Beware!!!

and the list goes on with 1.3 stars on trust site.
150 million buyers in 2020 alone on AliExpress and there are some bad reviews within all those transactions? Go figure.........What are the chances?

I do believe it and I actually think the head of MI6 knows the day, date and time. He was quite clear that the threat China presents is very different to our historic notion of war.

I've bought loads of woodwork and engineering bits, cutters, T squares parallel guides, engineering squares etc and never had an issue. Thought I was going to get caught recently an order hadn't turned up. Unprompted Aliexpress emailed to say the delivery window was closing and gave me a chance to claim against the seller, which I did and said it had not been delivered and I wanted a refund they came back with Bull... story and I should wait for slow delivery in my country, whilst I was considering my response Ali express contacted again and said seller failed to reach satisfactory compromise and refunded me no issues. All with no prompt from me so personally I have no complaints. Just be aware not all but most stuff is good quality, but to be fair the odd thing that's been below par I sort of knew it was likely but worth the punt. Most of it is what you would be buying from UK imported anyway.
For instance I bought Igaging squares from Amazon and found them close but no banana for quality, still waiting for that refund and bought the Starrets and well pleased with them, just have to decide what you want, and what you want it for, to meet your expectations.
Oh and I bought some diamond sharpening plates and for the money no complaints just dipped my toe in to see, might order some more for quick and dirty simple sharpening in the toolbag, without the worry of looking after them preciously. For the workshop I use traditional India double sided stone and a black hard Arkansas ( I think it's what it is) freehand.

Alan

Well from my experiences I have enough issues getting quality these days without playing russian roulette with unknown OEM's selling via virtual shop fronts.

I brought two components for an IT project, neither met standards and a freind brought something for crafting which was a joke, but saying that I also know someone who got something that was Ok but just not the size expected.

I suppose if you have the time but not the cash then sorting though these sorts of outlets can bag a bargain providing you have the patience, just like fishing a fish will come along eventually.

It obviously applies much wider than these two marketplaces and before anyone gets uptight I'm just making a general observation and not criticising anyone for grabbing a bargain! ;)
Nowadays it seems that the choice is to buy direct from China, or buy from Axminster or Record Power or whoever, and pay a markup for stuff they have bought from China. What a world.

Nowadays it seems that the choice is to buy direct from China, or buy from Axminster or Record Power or whoever, and pay a markup for stuff they have bought from China. What a world.
I agree. I may be wrong but Iā€™ve noticed Axminster making a bit of a virtue of made in the UK over the past twelve months. For instance ā€¦

C1CC482E-889E-40A4-86EF-3CF83508226D.jpeg

It obviously applies much wider than these two marketplaces and before anyone gets uptight I'm just making a general observation and not criticising anyone for grabbing a bargain! ;)
I totally agree with your comments. My only caveat being that until uk sellers reduce there drastic mark up prices this will continue to be a prime market. I have even experienced purchases from UK, at inflated prices, that are actually delivered directly via aliexpres, and the UK seller is just acting as a dropshop merchant. This really gets my goat, as the sometimes sellers display as being a UK seller, when in reality, most never even handle the goods, and even the order can be directly routed to aliexpress, Banggood etc. So technically they are UK seller, but if you delve deeper, you can find the main supplier address as being in some chinese province.

I will criticize people for getting a bargain. There's two possible reasons it's very cheap, either it's rubbish or someone hasn't been paid. There's a lot of forced and slave labour in China particularly. There are far more modern slaves than there ever where when it was legal.

I totally agree with your comments. My only caveat being that until uk sellers reduce there drastic mark up prices this will continue to be a prime market. I have even experienced purchases from UK, at inflated prices, that are actually delivered directly via aliexpres, and the UK seller is just acting as a dropshop merchant. This really gets my goat, as the sometimes sellers display as being a UK seller, when in reality, most never even handle the goods, and even the order can be directly routed to aliexpress, Banggood etc. So technically they are UK seller, but if you delve deeper, you can find the main supplier address as being in some chinese province.
A part of that markup though is that they need to provide the customer service - so anything wrong and you deal with the UK company, not AliExpress.
I deliberately paid more when buying my laser engraver to buy from a UK company rather than directly from China - the extra cost buying me the peace of mind that I had a UK supplier and more protection under UK consumer law...

Latest posts

Back