Alexandra Palace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
Did anyone go to Ally Pally this year? I went on friday and met James (Sawdustalley). We had a good look around but I didn't buy anything interesting.

We saw David Free's (great british woodshop) compact kitchen diner at the Jet stand, it was impressive - no gaps that we could spot :wink:

What did you think of the show this year? better then previous years? Did you buy anything?

Charley,
I just got back from there. I thought it seemed slightly smaller than last year but I am not sure. I was disappointed that the quality tool makers did not have more facilities (room, demonstrators) for hands on testing. I was half interested in buying a bigger bandsaw but no-one was allowing a full range of testing of the ones that interested me.

I would have liked to see more quality hand tools than were in evidence but in any event I got a Clifton No 3 (I liked the 4 1/2 but I couldn't really justify that even to myself when I already have 4s and 5s and 51/2s !)

I got a lot of Besseys for a good price ( I need nearly thirty for my next project!) but not much else, just odds and ends.

It wasn't bad but it also wasn't great! Bought some Besseys at reasonable price(10% off package price) but there were no other special exhibition deals that I could find.
Cliftons were nice .....
Cheers

The guys who went there from the Screwfix forum were rather disappointed.
One bought some Bessys then later a set of plug cutters for £5 & another bought a Titman panel raising bit for £15.
Most didn't like climbing the Matterhorn to get there.

Hi Waterhead,

Did I read your post right.....there where #4.5 on the Clifton stand? Tell me this is true......

SimonA
Whos just about to purchase a Clifton #7

Simon,
There was indeed a 4.5 there. According to Alan Reid ( the boss apparently), it is currently the only one in existence but they are going into full production as we speak, (so to speak!).

It was a lovely plane, quite heavy (which I like in a plane) and it performed flawlessly on the lump of maple they had for testing.

It's amazing really. Not that long ago I, as last, got a Stanley #80 scraper. Lee Valley Veritas, almost immediately it seemed to me, brought out an improved version. Then last year I got an L-N 112 scraper plane. L-V brought out, guess what, an improved, cheaper version. This Christmas I get the L-N #4.5 after years of waiting for Clifton to bring out their half sizes, and lookee here. Wadda you know? Quelle surprise!

Aaaarrrgggghhh! :evil:

So folks, any particular tool you'd like me to buy next that will insure the arrival of a better/cheaper/better and cheaper version on the market? :roll:

I wonder exactly how many Bessey clamps the suppliers takes to each show...? :? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

A unisaw? Go on Alf buy one so we can all get 'em for 1/2 price in 2 months. Your sacrifice will be rewarded and applauded by all the (future) unisaw owners on the forum :)

Howdy peoples,

I've just been talking to Mike Hancock at Classic Hand Tools and hes just filled me in on a bit more info
about the new Cliftons, so I thought I'd pass it along to you kind folks.

He was saying that they had both the 4.5 and the 5.5 at the show and that they seemed to be getting pretty good
reviews from most people. Hes ordered a number of each of these planes and should have them in towards the end of
March. As for a price Clifton have been hinting around the same price as a #6, but this is still to be confermed.
He also said that he should be getting the proto types in sometime this week for photographing so he'd be able to
answer any more specific questions then.

The most important thing is that he is the first in the UK to be recieving these planes, so if you want em you
best get em quick!!

Mike is going to be at the Yandles Woodworking Show in April where Clifton will be exhibiting on his stand,
along with some old referbished Record and Stanely planes.

So peeps if your in the market for a new Clifton, like me whos just bought a #7, then Mikes seems to be your man
and his prices are good too!!

SimonA

No Probs fella......

Was just asking about availability of a #7 and I thought I'd ask about him about the 4.5 since I wasn't able to get to Ally Pally to see them myself. Mike was more than helpful in providing any and all knowledge on the planes. I think I might be shopping there again!! His prices on the Cliftons seem to be the cheapest too!!

SimonA
Just waiting for his delivery or is that deliverance!

Latest posts

Back