Alex Mathieson history

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JobandKnock

Amateur curmudgeon
Reaction score
Does anyone know the later history of Alex. Mathieson? I have found out that they were forced into receivership in 1952 and that the stock, materials and equipment were offered for sale as a single lot in 1953. I also am aware that Wm. Ridgway (auger makers) eventually acquired the name and rights of the business, presumably to get Mathieson's once renowned name for auger bits in markets like South America. But what caused their demise? And did they, like Preston, attempt to produce products like Bailey planes before they went under? Or are those Bailey-type planes found with Mathieson lever caps just an attempt to cash in on the name by Ridgway after they had bought the business name?

Does anyone know the later history of Alex. Mathieson? I have found out that they were forced into receivership in 1952 and that the stock, materials and equipment were offered for sale as a single lot in 1953. I also am aware that Wm. Ridgway (auger makers) eventually acquired the name and rights of the business, presumably to get Mathieson's once renowned name for auger bits in markets like South America. But what caused their demise? And did they, like Preston, attempt to produce products like Bailey planes before they went under? Or are those Bailey-type planes found with Mathieson lever caps just an attempt to cash in on the name by Ridgway after they had bought the business name?

Mathieson were a major tool maker and factor, in the same league as Sheffield Marples, Ward or Sorby, or Birmingham Preston.-- There is a book on their history (US author? -try Amazon) and a lot of interest in Australia (website?) - also an early catalogue was reproduced by a tool society - prob scarce.

You may know all this already - I guess your real interest is very specifically Bailey-type planes - can't help much there, prefer their earlier stuff, but do respect Mathieson as a maker (despite being here in Sheff).

Back