Aldi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I have a few of them, they're ok, good for small boxes and that kind of thing, not amazing but good value, they sometimes lock in place.

I'm slowly building up cramps Garno and have a few of these from earliest days. They are excellent value for money IF you take into account what Ben said. Overwork them and they will pop faster than a bowl of rice crispies. Then again you wouldnt do the Nürbergring on a feckin' go-cart either and expect to lap anyone unless you expected too much from cheap gear now wouldya?
:D

Edit. Just get the big ones. Medium ones are ok... the little ones are keyrings.

Bought 4 of them as they looked good value but I'm afraid one of the handles snapped on me whilst trying to hold a piece in place. As logger once said to me cheap tools are a false economy. They may look good for a YouTube shop tour but not very fit for very much at all I'm afraid

Re these Aldi clamps:

Someone said "the little ones are key rings". I say "it depends what you're doing".

I've just been experimenting with some 3D/compound cutting on the scroll saw. Those "key rings" are absolutely the right size to hold the sides in place while cutting the tops (or vice-versa). That does of course depend on the size of the figure, but if you look at the max opening of the "key rings" , they'll open up to about 4 inches, which is more than enough for many figures. AND they have enough clamping pressure to hold the "scrap" bits in place while cutting (not too much pressure should be used, otherwise the "scrap" pieces can slip, NOT at all what you need for a successful 3D figure! So I'd say, don't just dismiss these tiny little clamps as "key rings" or anything else - useless for an on-site 1st fixings chippy no doubt, but by no means completely useless in all cases. As so often in life -"horses for courses".

Someone else said he had a jaw break on one of these. OK. Aldi are renown for their 3 year no quibble guarantee. Take it back (I almost - but not quite - said "fat head")!

On another thread someone bought a set of 3 Aldi squares for a tenner. To his surprise he found all 3 spot on against whatever "standard" square he used to check.

OK, "luck of the draw" but again, if it's no good, take it back. Much easier to go back to the place where you bought it than hassling about with postage & stuff in returning an internet purchase and demanding a refund.

It looks like I'm "promoting" Aldi, but I'm not really.

What I AM disputing is - with the likes of Aldi (& Lidl") being in just about every reasonable size town - is the oft-quoted " As logger once said to me cheap tools are a false economy. They may look good for a YouTube shop tour ..... " etc.

Cheap tools are NOT necessarily a false economy - IMO. Why?

1. Some people (like me) work to a budget. Some people (like me) often agree that you can't have too many cramps. Cramps are not (normally) used on a daily basis (not by people like me anyway). Yes I have a few Record, etc, cramps, but to build up "a big enough set" of different cramps of good quality would be impossible with my budget if I was always sticking to "Record etc" quality - or would take more years than I have left in the shop if buying quality brands 2nd hand.

2. Places like Aldi (& Lidl - and there are a couple of similar outlets here) - give you the opportunity to "handle" before you buy. Just like anyone else they do sell carp, but with a sharp eye you can usually see it coming before buying.

3. And as above, the 3 year guarantee covers you pretty well if it does all go wrong.

So if you're a PROFESSIONAL, yup, cheap tools are usually (NOT always IME) a false economy.

BUT if you're a hobbyist working on a budget, and are prepared to use a little bit of "common sense" before buying, such "cheap" tools are often NOT false economy at all, but represent not only very good value for money but also allow hobbyists to set themselves up with stuff that would often otherwise be impossibly far out of reach.

Rant over!

(BTW, I've also used my other "big" Aldi clamps a couple of times and they haven't broken yet)!

Back