Aldi plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
I know people may laugh at this but...
I bought the wooden plane from aldi for eight quid or whatever it was to see what a wooden plane was like as i have never used one that is a european style. I have to say I was really impressed I thought it would be rubbish and I would use it as a scrub plane for planks.
Instead it is really nice, I sharpened the blade which held the edge and it planed really nicely and coped with some really nasty cherry that i had had to sand previously. I don't expect the edge will hold that long but it was quick to sharpen. I decided to apply 10mins of rasping and filing to make it fit my hands and it felt good. I think I will be keeping this as a nice smoother.
I think it will make a nice first plane for someone and would be a hell of a lot better than the cheap metal planes that can be had for £20.00 or so. I guess you even get a better blade to improve it further.
Has anybody else tried it out as it has made me rethink wooden planes. I can understand why Philly has set up a business making them. I would never have considered buying one before as a main user.

I missed that as I read the end of the thread first and it seemed a bit odd. Anyway I was quite impressed with the plane so full marks to aldi for this one.

Corset
Ahh....another one hooked in :lol:
Wooden planes have a subtly different vibe to them. Glad you like yours!
Cheers
Philly :D

Back