Aldi Ferrex 10" Bandsaw stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I made myself a stand for the 10" bandsaw by aldi,

it's fairly crude and certaintly not fine joinery, I had some spare 4 x 2 that was cut up and I screwed it all together there is no glue used at all, for attaching the bandsaw to the stand I used M8 grub screws and M8 high tensile bolts, it was no more than a few hours work, I am surprised at how much more solid it feels now, I may make shelves or drawers in the middle but for now it'll do and it's nice being able to move it around easily and just lock it in place.

I though some of you who have recently got the newer version might be interested.

if you need plans let me know!

cheers,

Ben.

Attachments

• ferrex_bandsaw_stand-1.jpg
    ferrex_bandsaw_stand-1.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 57
  • ferrex_bandsaw_stand-2.jpg
    ferrex_bandsaw_stand-2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 62
  • ferrex_bandsaw_stand-3.jpg
    ferrex_bandsaw_stand-3.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 64
  • ferrex_bandsaw_stand-4.jpg
    ferrex_bandsaw_stand-4.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 60
All in favour of having things on wheels but that is looking unstable to me due to the small footprint of the wheels. A heavish bit of wood on the table could tip it over while in use as the table well overhangs the base. Perhaps use some clamp on stabiliser feet when in use.
Regards
John

The wheels look small enough that if you encountered say a trailing wire on the floor whilst moving it around there's a chance it may topple over. Have you tried to use it in the new orientation? Just curious as to whether despite having locking wheels (cant tell if its just two or four) it would still move around, also something heavy on top might upset the balance just as Orraloon suggests.

needed something similar but designed drawers in it from the start.....
my bottom drawer has at least 20klg of old nuts n bolts for balast....
it also had 125mm dia locking wheels (4)....
Mines metal tho....that way the frame is more open and allows bigger storage....
be lost without a welder...

My similar sized bandsaw is on a wheeled stand like the OP's but with a bigger "table" for the base to bolt to - and is thus more stable. The table height is shimmed to be the same height as my MFT bench so the saw gets wheeled to the side of it and wheels locked. The lower part of the stand houses a couple of spare blades (one bust yesterday), push sticks and stores my small scroll-saw.

admittedly this was just thrown together very fast, but there are no real problems with stability and toppling over, I am calling it a prototype, I won't be putting ultra heavy pieces of wood on it anyway, it seems ok and surprisingly solid with the wheels locked, definitely a big improvement on what I had before which was an occasional table that it was clamped to, there is less vibration and it cuts cleaner.

I put mine on a set of office paper drawers 11 in total all have sorting in from drill bits
,Allan keys, Brad and staple, rulers /calliper.washers, makes a very stable base Even on lockable wheel.

Back