Aldi chainsaw sharpener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought, unpacked and assembled this. Ferrex Chainsaw Sharpener I dont have high hopes having done so, there seems to be a lot of flex in the parts that need to be rigid.

Has anybody got and used one of these, I am tempted to return it before using it. I know that the warranty is good, but if I knacker the chain in testing it I will be a tenner down on the deal. my dad has a similar one, (but different enough that it it isnt just rebadged) and I can see where the extra £30 has been spent.

I have a similar one and it works Ok. The flex is not an issue as just the lightest touch on the chainsaw tooth is required.
As with most such tools it tends to use up chain quicker than sharpening by hand, and probably is no quicker to use compared to a skilled arborist who sharpens chains regularly.
Which I'm not!
Duncan

I have no experience of it, so probably shouldn't comment at all :).

FWIW if anyone is looking for a grinder have a look at the granberg precision grinder. It's just under £100 ex vat, but it's 12V so great for use in the field, and although it looks like something Heath Robinson would be proud of it really work brilliantly. Re-shaping, by hand, a 92-link chain that's lost an argument with a nail while in the middle of the woods when it's chucking it down is not fun. (Which is why £100 seemed cheap at the time!)

I have no experience of it, so probably shouldn't comment at all :).

FWIW if anyone is looking for a grinder have a look at the granberg precision grinder. It's just under £100 ex vat, but it's 12V so great for use in the field, and although it looks like something Heath Robinson would be proud of it really work brilliantly. Re-shaping, by hand, a 92-link chain that's lost an argument with a nail while in the middle of the woods when it's chucking it down is not fun. (Which is why £100 seemed cheap at the time!)
Would not use one of those in a million years

had mine (from another source) for 15 years....have no idea how many chains I have sharpened with it...must be 100's...
where I lived in France the standard charge for sharpening was anything between 15-20 euros.....
so stuff that bought my own.....absolutley perfeckt......
u dont need to hit the chain hard...just the lightest of touches does the trick.....

Why? What do you find wrong with them?
To much faffing about with them,I use the einhell 18v cordless one as i use that range anyway and excellent. I mill a lot on site so need something pretty quick. 36" milling bar and chain off and fully sharpened in under 20 minutes.

To much faffing about with them,I use the einhell 18v cordless one as i use that range anyway and excellent. I mill a lot on site so need something pretty quick. 36" milling bar and chain off and fully sharpened in under 20 minutes.

Fair enough, I’d not argue with you over the choice. Perhaps if I had seen the Einhell before the Granberg I'd have tried it. In fairness I do a 28" milling chain in about 15 mins with the Granberg so it’s roughly the same. It mimics hand filing, which means, me being a bear of little brain, I can understand it!

As long as tools will do what we need them to do when we need them to do it, there is no right or wrong choice.

Out of curiosity what head do you use? I run an Echo 8002 with a 28". It's not really powerful enough for milling TBH, but at least I use it as my big felling saw too.

(I guess it’s you on the arborist forum? Good luck with that garden milling – you’re braver than me!)

For us amateur chain saw abusers you can't beat the Oregon Power sharp chain and sharpening system:

The powersharp is expensive, and top-sharpening doesn't give the greatest results. Having said that, if you only use a chainsaw for a few firewood logs and really can't use a guide and file it does work.

TBH anyone who can cut a half-decent dovetail can certainly file a chainsaw chain well enough to use. There are so many good online videos demonstrating how to do it. The biggest beginners mistakes are letting the chain get too blunt, and then trying to sharpen it with a blunt file!

Fair enough, I’d not argue with you over the choice. Perhaps if I had seen the Einhell before the Granberg I'd have tried it. In fairness I do a 28" milling chain in about 15 mins with the Granberg so it’s roughly the same. It mimics hand filing, which means, me being a bear of little brain, I can understand it!

As long as tools will do what we need them to do when we need them to do it, there is no right or wrong choice.

Out of curiosity what head do you use? I run an Echo 8002 with a 28". It's not really powerful enough for milling TBH, but at least I use it as my big felling saw too.

(I guess it’s you on the arborist forum? Good luck with that garden milling – you’re braver than me!)
I use a sthil 880 with a 36"/ 48" GB milling bars, M7 logosol mill where possible but use an alaskan 60% for onsite milling as the logs can be milled in place.

Portable Chainsaw Mill - Logosol M7

Last edited:
I'm very jealous, that's a neat set-up. I end up using an alaskan and the two straightest bits of 4x2 I can find!

Back