Aldi Bandsaw ( new model) coming soon. Buy it or choose other model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1: Figure 7 in the manual shows a bolt, a nut and one washer for fitting to the front of the table. And this is what comes in the box.
However, page 21 of the manual states: Fit the screw M6 x 35 (33) with TWO washers (32) and the nut (31) to the table (Fig. 7).
Looking at it, it's obviously meant to be fitted using two washers. One under the head of the bolt/screw and one underneath the table with the nut. And if you can find a washer to do this, the bolt no longer fouls the lower door.

Mine only came with 1 washer, and i found that if I had that under the head of the bolt that it would stick above the surface of the table.

I only have 1 washer, and this screw does not impair opening the door

2. I am no doubt missing something obvious to everyone else, but I am really struggling to securely fix part number 20, the "quick release lever" onto part 29, the "Fixing screw for table" because once this screw passes through the bracket on the machine, when I try to turn the handle it fouls the mounting bracket. I ended up removing the bracket that holds part 29 and then by turning the fixing screw from the inside, in minute movements using my fingertips I managed to get it put together, but not at all secure. I actually laughed at myself doing this. I am thinking of changing this handle for a wingnut unless someone can point out my glaring error?

This is a pain to get in. The trick is that the handle has a button that pushes in, that disengages from the nut that is in the handle.

I recommend before putting the table on, get the blade guides aligned first. especially the underneath ones which are hard to align when the tables on

Mine only came with 1 washer, and i found that if I had that under the head of the bolt that it would stick above the surface of the table.

I only have 1 washer, and this screw does not impair opening the door

This is a pain to get in. The trick is that the handle has a button that pushes in, that disengages from the nut that is in the handle.

I recommend before putting the table on, get the blade guides aligned first. especially the underneath ones which are hard to align when the tables on
Thanks for tips (y). I found that my nut doesn't stick above the table surface even with a quite thick washer from my spares box. Weird :unsure:

2. I am no doubt missing something obvious to everyone else, but I am really struggling to securely fix part number 20, the "quick release lever" onto part 29, the "Fixing screw for table" because once this screw passes through the bracket on the machine, when I try to turn the handle it fouls the mounting bracket. I ended up removing the bracket that holds part 29 and then by turning the fixing screw from the inside, in minute movements using my fingertips I managed to get it put together, but not at all secure. I actually laughed at myself doing this. I am thinking of changing this handle for a wingnut unless someone can point out my glaring error?

I only managed to get so far with mine (in the house) before ‘she’ threw a wobbly and made me take it apart again (too cold in my workshop today).

Anyway, I did get your problematic bit done but it was very fiddly. I did it by putting the washer on and using that to push ‘side-on’ to the bolt (somewhat wedges the bolt and so stops it disappearing upwards). This also moved my fingers away from the bolt itself and so allowed the handle (the nut) to ‘see’ a longer section of the bolt in order just to get it started on the thread.
Awkward to word this but then you can pull down the spring-part of the handle to leave more of the undelying threaded shaft showing…..grab this with your other hand and spin the shaft, not the handle, (this will run its threads up the bolt). A few spins and you should be on the bolt enough to then use the actual handle itself by using the pull-out spring action of it.
Hope this helps.
👍

I tried both TuffSaws M42 and Sabre cut in 1/2" inch and felt this size of blade was too much for the saw. It fitted but could not tension as well as I wanted.

Have you been in touch with Ian or someone else at TuffSaws? Ian was very helpful when I posted to them for information on which blades would be best for the machine.

Totally agree about the stupid fixture for the bandsaw table base, it is a real PITA! I've threaded a piece of plastic and trimmed it and fixed to the bolt so it stays in place now. Also I have done away with the stupid handle they supplied. I found (in my box of bits I never throw away🙂) a handle with the same thread, which I think came off an old Flymo lawn mower. This makes fitting and removing the table base very easy now. I also had to do a bit fettling to get rid of a few nasty burs too, to enable the table base to swivel smoothly.
I have now spent a while fitting the new Tuffsaws 3/8 6tpi blade and the results are now very good👍.
IMG_20211206_134955623~2.jpgIMG_20211206_132659241~2.jpgIMG_20211206_132029126~2.jpgIMG_20211205_190636455~2.jpgIMG_20211205_185207673~2.jpg

Thanks for tips (y). I found that my nut doesn't stick above the table surface even with a quite thick washer from my spares box. Weird :unsure:

I found that the bolt supplied was slightly too long and stopped the bottom door from being opened - as did the small screw that stops the table extension from being pulled too far and off. I changed the "table levelling bolt" for a shorter one which doesn't interfere with the door and left the small screw off - the one on the back of the table stops the extension table.

Maybe they supplied different length bolts?

I found that the bolt supplied was slightly too long and stopped the bottom door from being opened - as did the small screw that stops the table extension from being pulled too far and off. I changed the "table levelling bolt" for a shorter one which doesn't interfere with the door and left the small screw off - the one on the back of the table stops the extension table.

Maybe they supplied different length bolts?
Yeah mine also fouled the door until I fitted the washer under the top of the bolt.

Totally agree about the stupid fixture for the bandsaw table base, it is a real PITA! I've threaded a piece of plastic and trimmed it and fixed to the bolt so it stays in place now. Also I have done away with the stupid handle they supplied. I found (in my box of bits I never throw away🙂) a handle with the same thread, which I think came off an old Flymo lawn mower. This makes fitting and removing the table base very easy now. I also had to do a bit fettling to get rid of a few nasty burs too, to enable the table base to swivel smoothly.
I have now spent a while fitting the new Tuffsaws 3/8 6tpi blade and the results are now very good👍.
View attachment 123554View attachment 123555View attachment 123556View attachment 123557View attachment 123558
That's a coincidence. I've just been looking at the ones on my electric lawn raker and I reckon they'll fit a treat (y)

I've seen a couple of suggestions for the Metabo BAS 261 in this thread - a saw that is lower powered, with less capacity, than the Aldi model - at a significantly higher price?

Bearing in mind that the Ferrex / Aldi bandsaw only comes into stock once a year and is already sold out, what would you recommend as an affordable alternative?
I think the Ferrex bandsaw appears to be a great purchase for the money and the spec of it (and I've recommended it to other people recently). But having now seen the experience of several people on here (damaged machines and a cowboy courier service) I wouldn't buy or recommend the Ferrex bandsaw anymore, but everyone will have their own preferences, which is fair enough.

I think you'd have to spend significantly more to get a better bandsaw like for example the record sabre 250-10 inch bandsaw... it's more like £476 including postage.

I doubt that Aldi are that much bothered if they won't publish honest reviews. Why are there only three (last time of looking) published reviews on the band saw this time round?

"Thank you for submitting a review.

Unfortunately, your review didn't meet with our guidelines and as a result we're unable to publish it.

Please check our review guidelines and full terms and conditions - these will give you helpful advice on what to avoid when submitting a review.

If you would like to leave another review, just click the link below.
"
Likewise. I was also asked in my email
Offering a partial refund that if I accept I will not be able to provide a product review.

Looking for advice - which height do people think is best to work with a bandsaw. I’m planning to build a cabinet on wheels to mount my saw. Trying to work out is waist or shoulder height better.

Bearing in mind all the problems people appear to have had, would the Zipper BAS 250 be a reasonable alternative? Looking at the specs, it doesn't appear to be too much different, but at around £210.
Would certainly stand out in the workshop...

I doubt that Aldi are that much bothered if they won't publish honest reviews. Why are there only three (last time of looking) published reviews on the band saw this time round?

"Thank you for submitting a review.

Unfortunately, your review didn't meet with our guidelines and as a result we're unable to publish it.

Please check our review guidelines and full terms and conditions - these will give you helpful advice on what to avoid when submitting a review.

If you would like to leave another review, just click the link below.
"
That’s what I got as well, hope I get my refund said it could be up to 10 days it’s been 4 . I will never use Aldi or Lidl again for online shopping, I was told it had been delivered 16 times and it never was even delivered once. 👎

Just a thought...

We know that all/most of the Parkside/Ferrex/Workzone et al stuff is - shall we say - "influenced"by bigger name manufacturers, and in many cases are identical, bar being a different colour and re-badged.
To attain such a low retail price, you'd think that Aldi etc. would have to be buying enormous stocks - but they're not, otherwise they wouldn't "sell out" quite so quickly.
So my question is - are they simply "seconds" off the production lines?

When I had a problem with my earlier Aldi Bandsaw I contacted Scheppach to get a spare part and they catagorically denied having anything to do with Aldi, and the actual part I needed was slighlty different to the one shown on the Scheppach maual.
Aldi may just be purchasing items directly off the "generic" manufacturer in China?

This years is definitely a Scheppach - Aldi gave me the warranty details as [email protected]

Not convinced they are seconds either - the different door colour suggests they were made specifically for Aldi and Amazon reviews of the Scheppach model show the same 'bent base' issue there. It could be that they order in bulk to service the European market as well as the UK and that makes the order into the thousands rather than a couple of hundred.

The Warranty Card that is in with the manual. Note the darker box for "after sales service" and the email address

Attachments

• IMG_20211207_104820.jpg
    IMG_20211207_104820.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 33
It’s one of those situations where you have to ask yourself if you can justify paying more to get more, in that would casual use or either non full or semi-professional use merit the amount of money required.

Years ago I looked into getting my first BS having seen what could be done with one and what couldn’t be replicated on the TS.

Being somewhat of a tight-a*se (and only casual user) I looked around and ended up buying the cheap metabo bas 260 which, putting aside some early fettling and learning curves, became a machine that suited what I needed. These days I often found myself looking it and could only see the flaws (bearings, a warp in the cast iron bed for example)…..to a point where I would often find another way instead of using it.

The main reason I’ve bought this new ferrex is due to what others have said on this forum which lead me to watch/read other reviews on the web.

However, having unboxed it yesterday I was immediately amazed to find that, on the face of it, it’s more or less the same machine as my metabo 260! Same size, same construction (more or less), same motor, same wheels, same pulley, same switches. I’m also assuming (haven’t tried yet) that my spare tuffsaw blades will also fit straight on.

However, I am pleased with some obvious differences and these are mostly positive upgrades to what I’ve got used to - wheeled bearings, a flat bed, adjustable bed width, increased cutting depth (throat), wider wheels. I would say the only negative difference I can see at the moment is that my old machine had simple twist-knobs to very quickly open the doors whereas this one needs a screwdriver 🙄.

On the basis of all of the positive reviews I’ve read I am justifying the money I’ve paid out (putting aside all the XDP grief for a mo) as it should make a difference to what I can do with this machine and how often I make use of it…..again based on what my personal needs are…..if the machine hadn’t arrived (xdp and Aldi incompetence ) I couldn’t really justify paying out more based on what I would use it for.

At the moment there doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with the machine (no obvious dents or twists) and so I don’t foresee having to enter into any more communications with the dreadful Aldi customer services, although I do feel like pushing for a refund gesture out of spite and bitterness!

My experience with XDP and Aldi has definitely tainted the whole episode and will cause me to question buying online from them again. In retrospect the limited stock was the main problem as if I could have bought from anyone else, at a higher, but reasonable price, I would have.

Unless you’ve been in it, the overwhelming feeling of being unable to talk to anyone is horrendously stressful cannot be easily described.

A few of you now tell of not being able to write honest reviews, which is appalling. Its no proper replacement but you can leave an honest review on trustpilot.

Looking for advice - which height do people think is best to work with a bandsaw. I’m planning to build a cabinet on wheels to mount my saw. Trying to work out is waist or shoulder height better.

Shoulder height for me as it allows you to get close, clear views of intricate cutting without having to bend.

Edited because I jumped in when given choice between shoulder and waist height plus I’ve just read someone else’s response….what I should have said was that, for me, waist height was far too low so I constructed a ‘cart’ that places the bandsaw table at just below nipple height. Good for my back and close enough to see enough. 👍

Last edited:
Back