Aldi Bandsaw ( new model) coming soon. Buy it or choose other model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the number of people with carrier problems with this bandsaw is it worth doing a tally of how many got an undamaged unit and how many a damaged one and then report this back to Aldi.
I am one of the lucky few.

I doubt that Aldi are that much bothered if they won't publish honest reviews. Why are there only three (last time of looking) published reviews on the band saw this time round?

"Thank you for submitting a review.

Unfortunately, your review didn't meet with our guidelines and as a result we're unable to publish it.

Please check our review guidelines and full terms and conditions - these will give you helpful advice on what to avoid when submitting a review.

If you would like to leave another review, just click the link below.
"

I seem to be one of the lucky ones. I got mine on Wednesday last week. I didn’t get a chance to unbox it until yesterday, and was a bit nervous having read through this thread, but my saw is damage free. There was some damage to the box, but luckily, it coincided with a void. One of the limit screws on the sliding table extension had fallen out, and the washer that goes with it is missing, but other than that, everything’s good. I also found that the lack of a washer on the front limit screw stops it from fouling the lower door too.

The tracking information from XDP didn’t update beyond 9.30am so was useless for a 12.06-2.06pm delivery, but the guy turned up at roughly 2pm so I can’t really complain.

Am I tempting fate by writing this?

sat here reading the latest chapter in the saga and, lo and behold, I get a text from XDP…..they’re supposedly going to make their 3rd, and final, attempt to deliver today at 12-2pm. I don’t hold out much hope 😥

I’ve also had an email from Aldi telling me that my moderated review did not meet their standards so it’s not published.

Pray for me everyone, I beg you 😂👍

I am f*cking fuming!

An hour ago, and out of the blue, I received another email from XDP stating that they’ve been here to try and deliver for a second time. They stated no one was in so left a card.

I’ve been here all the time and can see the front gate. No one‘s been (again).

Phoned Aldi (again) and, amongst other things, asked why they couldn’t ring xdp directly….”unable to sir” etc etc. She then said she’ll write another email to XDP asking them to try for the 3rd time……I said c’mon, they’ve made up two deliveries already and will do the same for the third…..she’s replied “yes, if they do that it will be returned to our warehouse where it will be unable to be sent back out”…..why not? (I asked sarcastically)…..blah blah blah…anyway, let me have your head office number please…..”no sir, we don’t have one….everything comes through to here”. Hmm, let me have the name of your MD then?….”no sir, I’m ending the call now…..”

No other option but to bite the bullet and ring XDP directly (but at £0.45/minute plus connection fee)…..several minutes later (having listened to recorded messages) I’m informed that they DO NOT allow either anyone expecting a delivery or anyone querying a delivery to speak to anyone in person and if “you decide to use any of the telephone extension selections you will still be unable to speak to anyone”….., instead, you should go to their website/use their app to sort out any problems (been there, tried that…impossibility).

Tried posting a lengthy rant on the Aldi facebook page but got ’posting failed’ message.

I can only surmise that being out here in the wilderness (Abergavenny 🙄) means that it’s apparently out of the way for the driver who can’t be pineappled to drive here and so only delivers to a batch in an area that he can get around in a reasonable time…..what other reason could there be? I’ve been reading other stories about how phantom cards have supposedly been written to cover the driver’s backside……it makes no difference to them but means that I don’t get to purchase the bandsaw.

I’m f*cking livid…..I’m stuck inside a system that will not let me speak to anyone or arrange anything and I’m completely unable to interfere with whatever mood the van driver is in and feels like doing….Aldi’s appear to know what XDP are like and are unwilling to do anything about it (or so it seems). Based on my latest telephone conversation they also seem to not be bothered if deliveries are simply returned to their warehouse.

My only outlet is to rant away on here…..so here I am…..I’m amazed I haven’t launched this iPad before now.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or alternative contact means for either XDP or Aldi?

Given everything you've said, I just wouldn't bother anymore, I'd cancel the order and ask for a full refund from Aldi. It sounds very unlikely that the courier is ever going to deliver the saw to you and if they did, it's probably going to be damaged. I'd add an extra £100 to what you've spent so far and order a Metabo BAS 261 instead.

Given the number of people with carrier problems with this bandsaw is it worth doing a tally of how many got an undamaged unit and how many a damaged one and then report this back to Aldi.

I honestly don't think Aldi would be interested. It sounds like they use a bunch of cowboys as a courier service and they have little / no ability to exert any quality control in relation to the courier, let alone the damaged machines. Also, Aldi won't publish honest reviews from customers on their website because they don't want the wider customer base to see the sort of service that they provide for online purchases.

If any of you are still looking for a small bandsaw I can recommend the Metabo BAS 261, a little more expensive than the Aldi but better quality & spec IMHO 103mm depth of cut for example. Got it from Ebay ordered Wednesday lunchtime received it Thursday 9.30am undamaged, set it up which took me awhile but it cuts perfectly

I've been thinking along the same lines. How much did you pay, including the delivery?

Edit: I've just had a look on ebay and there's two businesses selling it. Best price is £240 with free delivery.

Last edited:
£225.00 on Ebay from a main festool dealer called nuts & bolts only one left

£219.99 here:

https://www.powertoolmate.co.uk/pow...ols/metabo-bas261-240v-precision-band-saw.htm
They also have a ebay page, and they occassionally are included in the 10/15/20% ebay discount codes

this company is pretty good, very quick to ship most of the time. I've brought a number of power tools from them, they announce some awesome deals on their facebook page too, I check a couple times a day. Got a milwaukee drill for £90 which sells for £230 one time even.

I've seen a couple of suggestions for the Metabo BAS 261 in this thread - a saw that is lower powered, with less capacity, than the Aldi model - at a significantly higher price?

The reality is any bandsaw at this kind of price range is going to have limitations and flaws - outright damage is one thing but it seems Aldi are doing the right thing by offering partial refunds or a full refund for a return.

Re my "pile of'TuffSaw blades I have come to the following conclusions on this saw:

Top company and service, beautifully packed for transport
M42 and 1/2" blades I would not bother with for this band saw (no criticism of TuffSaws here just a limitation of ferrex)
3 tpi really too much for this saw, I would stick with 4 and 6 tpi
If I was buying again i would stick with 3/8" 6tpi and I recon that would cover everything you want on this small bandsaw. Supertough Premium quality level and that means £9.50 replacement blade.
I would recommend TuffSaws to anyone.

and just to add i have cancelled a planned Ferrex sander purchase as the fear of Aldi using the same courier / item supplied looks different to that advertised. I was a Workzone fan.

Is that the M42 1/2" or have you tried the 1/2" Premium blade on it?

Given everything you've said, I just wouldn't bother anymore, I'd cancel the order and ask for a full refund from Aldi. It sounds very unlikely that the courier is ever going to deliver the saw to you and if they did, it's probably going to be damaged. I'd add an extra £100 to what you've spent so far and order a Metabo BAS 261 instead.

Yes, I’ve been thinking about it. My problem is that I already have a small cheap and cheerful bandsaw (which was really my first experience with anything other than a Table/chop saw) and even though its ‘ok’ for my needs, this bl**dy forum got me excited about treating myself with something that a) wasn’t going to break the bank, b) could be relatively easily to ‘hide‘ from she who must be obeyed and c) would be a step up from what I already had (based on what you lot have said)…..it would also, potentially, result in me using it a lot more as mine is a bit ‘moody’ 🙂

👍

I have created a poll here Aldi Bandsaw Orders so that we can see some of the information. Hopefully this'll help

Box looks like it’s been in a couple of rounds with Tyson AND has obviously been opened previously and then re-sellotaped BUT having just opened it up fully the polystyrene ‘trays’ look intact so it may be ok.
Too cold out and in the workshop so going to put it together in the house so will let you know of any issues.
Thanks to those who commented on my behalf etc etc.

I finally managed to get mine out of the box yesterday and spend an hour fiddling with it. I am very relieved that it is in great shape, with no apparent damage whatsoever. So it appears I'm one of the lucky ones.
So far I have two observations:

1: Figure 7 in the manual shows a bolt, a nut and one washer for fitting to the front of the table. And this is what comes in the box.
However, page 21 of the manual states: Fit the screw M6 x 35 (33) with TWO washers (32) and the nut (31) to the table (Fig. 7).
Looking at it, it's obviously meant to be fitted using two washers. One under the head of the bolt/screw and one underneath the table with the nut. And if you can find a washer to do this, the bolt no longer fouls the lower door.

2. I am no doubt missing something obvious to everyone else, but I am really struggling to securely fix part number 20, the "quick release lever" onto part 29, the "Fixing screw for table" because once this screw passes through the bracket on the machine, when I try to turn the handle it fouls the mounting bracket. I ended up removing the bracket that holds part 29 and then by turning the fixing screw from the inside, in minute movements using my fingertips I managed to get it put together, but not at all secure. I actually laughed at myself doing this. I am thinking of changing this handle for a wingnut unless someone can point out my glaring error?

Latest posts

Back