Aldi Bandsaw ( new model) coming soon. Buy it or choose other model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set up my Ferrex bandsaw, and everything seems have gone OK smoothly without much problem.
The only part I was not sure was how to level the main table with the extension table. Even the main table is not level the left and right of the cut part.

When powered on, the saw ran smoothly and quietly. It is now sitting in my study ready to be transferred to the shed, the work shop corner. But alas this rain has started, and it looks it will come down quite heavy all day. Will wait for a dray day for the moving, and get some test cut done with the saw.

Mine is installed in the garage. Unpacked so I could check it is alright. Promised not to use it as it's my Christmas present. But it was too useful not to use to level up a log to turn into a mini Christmas tree. My excuse is it's creating a Christmas present.

I'm well please with the saw for the money. Good tip from Murphy to bolt it down to straighten the base.

I set up my Ferrex bandsaw, and everything seems have gone OK smoothly without much problem.
The only part I was not sure was how to level the main table with the extension table. Even the main table is not level the left and right of the cut part....

Have you put the bolt, washer and nut in that helps to align the two sides of the slot... where the blade slides through when changing the blade? It's not really that clear in the assembly instructions and can be missed.

I found the bolt slightly too long and the bottom door can catch on it - as with the small "stop" screw that stopsthe extention fro being slid all the way off. I had a shorter bolt so used that and left "front" stop screw off as there's the one at the back.

If any of you are still looking for a small bandsaw I can recommend the Metabo BAS 261, a little more expensive than the Aldi but better quality & spec IMHO 103mm depth of cut for example. Got it from Ebay ordered Wednesday lunchtime received it Thursday 9.30am undamaged, set it up which took me awhile but it cuts perfectly

I found this one useful as well as the Alex Snodgrass that's been shared here - although using a Record bandsaw:

When Axminster was running courses (in Jan 2020, pre Covid) I invested in the on-site bandsaw course - excellent for someone new to the machine . . . setting up, blade choice and fitting, different cuts etc. I actually made a trip of it and did the 2 day router course as well. Excellent value for money . . . . and I managed to spend a few hundred quid on tools while I was there, taking advantage of a discount offer for participants.

Received an email asking me to review this band saw so have done so. I'm not sure if it will get published so thought I'd do a "copy/paste" of it here for others although you may already be aware of how I feel on this. It's a pity that Aldi *don't* want reviewers to mention any customer service part when posting - doing so means the review will not be published. Another reason to post a copy here 😎
I wrote:

Damaged product - None to replace with
Although this looks a good little machine the one I received had issues and Aldi were made aware of the them. This was to be my first band saw and I was looking forward to receiving it after watching the web page for it for a long time because of no stock and then it appeared as available. Now very disappointed with the services received so far to resolve this.

Great pity that the band saw arrived damaged - as I found out so did many others received by other users in a woodworking forum. Most of these had been dropped "at some point" during their journey and resulted in damages bent up bases at the corner/s. Whether from the couriers to Aldi customers or transport from the factory...?

Also a great pity is that the Quality Control of the one I received seems to have been forgotten. The band saw blade "drive wheels" still have sharp ragged spikes of metal that hadn't been cleaned off. Initially un-noticed by me when checking the machine out until I cut my fingers. Although damaged I took the opportunity to see if any other problems so had to assemble and trial. Setting the blade to run properly was "challenging".

Apart from these issues - which I hope will get resolved "properly" - it does seem a useful machine - if needing some improvements. For example, the mitre gauge would benefit from having two guides on the arm that slides in the guide slot in the table bed rather than the one (washer) to keep it true in the slot - it wobbles from side to side with only one. The fence wasn't "vertically" square with the table and there's no mention (that I could find) to adjust.
Would I buy again? ONLY if I could be guaranteed that I'd get an undamaged one OR Aldi had stock to replace with if it was damaged lie the one I got. Really would like to give it a higher score than just the one star but feel more let down by Aldi than the band saw.

Aldi says at the bottom:
Thank you for submitting a review! Your review is being moderated and may take up to 48 hours to appear.

Re my "pile of'TuffSaw blades I have come to the following conclusions on this saw:

Top company and service, beautifully packed for transport
M42 and 1/2" blades I would not bother with for this band saw (no criticism of TuffSaws here just a limitation of ferrex)
3 tpi really too much for this saw, I would stick with 4 and 6 tpi
If I was buying again i would stick with 3/8" 6tpi and I recon that would cover everything you want on this small bandsaw. Supertough Premium quality level and that means £9.50 replacement blade.
I would recommend TuffSaws to anyone.

and just to add i have cancelled a planned Ferrex sander purchase as the fear of Aldi using the same courier / item supplied looks different to that advertised. I was a Workzone fan.

@Nic Rhodes thanks for the update on the bandsaw blades. Noted.

Re the Ferrex belt sander - it's now sold out. I was considering one but waiting until sorted out the bandsaw...

The bandsaw now moved to the shed, and placed on the worktop. Did some cutting on the boards. No problems. Nice cut. The motor was not too loud either. There were a few Lidlandii branches cut a few year ago in the garden. I picked up an about 10cm diameter branch with a few hard knots in it. The saw milled it no problem making into a nice clean bit of timbre ideal for carving. Hard to say now, how reliable it will be but so far so good. I feel I was lucky in this transaction so far. Will only be able to assess on reliability and any niggle points maybe a year or two later after some extensive uses. Hopefully it will last for many years without any problems.

Quick update - vote up for Tuffsaws 1/4" 6tpi blade for this saw - arrived and fitted - nice combo and very happy with cuts

Given the grief Aldi must receiving re damages, I hope it doesn't dissuade them from offering larger items like this. The tools may not not have the name, but as long as expectations are reasonable, items like the bandsaw are very good value and will perform well with right blades, and introduce more people to woodworking. It also must possible with special buys like this to offer the option of collection from the local store? It would by-pass what appears to have been a sheer lottery over delivery, and Aldi could even use to drive sales. I had no idea they offered items like this, imagine seeing a locked stillage full of bandsaws/mitresaws etc with a label effectively saying 'all sold, awaiting collection, check online for latest offers..'. I say locked as even then you'd get somebody stamping their feet, demanding to see the manager, as they wanted to buy one.

Well , as the OP, I suppose I better add in my experience so far. I wasn't allowed to open the box originally as it is a present from the good lady wife but when I explained that this thread has tuned into a 12 pager and mostly taken up with the 'issues; ppl are having, she said open it and check it before xmas. So I did this evening and lo and behold I too have a bent base.

This is shipping and not factory QC . Pictures show box where the damage is and the corresponding dings and folded base. It looks like I could just pineapple it with some hefty hammer and that may fix it but am thinking of bolting it down anyway so may go for the whack and bolt/compress it method . But either way fingers crossed it hasn't affected anything else and after xmas I can go about testing it fully.

As to compensation etc, I may go down the CS route like so many of you here and then hold out for invoking warranty later on. time will tell

A real shame that what seemed such a cost effective way into a bandsaw has turned into a real farce.

Attachments

• IMG_9292.jpg
    IMG_9292.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9291.jpg
    IMG_9291.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9290.jpg
    IMG_9290.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9289.jpg
    IMG_9289.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 26
@swisstony I managed to bend mine back quite easily by doing what I said I'd try quite a few posts back; clamp down the straight end with some wood up towards the bent bit and then use another clamp to tighten down with to unbend it. It's quite soft metal so no wonder they've been damaged. Isn't as straight/level as it should be but darn sight better.

I'm sorry that your opening post ended up with some of us having to speak up about damaged goods. Good luck regarding a partial refund.

Latest posts

Back