Aldi Bandsaw ( new model) coming soon. Buy it or choose other model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now to put it together.....😀

Attachments

• IMG_20211126_101548498.jpg
    IMG_20211126_101548498.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 32
And what blades come with it? I know the quality is likely terrible but depending on size might suffice for the occasional curve

And what blades come with it? I know the quality is likely terrible but depending on size might suffice for the occasional curve
well we know it is 1790mm and on the manual ( sheppach version ) it is 6mm supplied with 13mm max but I am sure someone with one can soon advise on quality

well we know it is 1790mm and on the manual ( sheppach version ) it is 6mm supplied with 13mm max but I am sure someone with one can soon advise on quality
They can take a 1/2"/12.7mm blade but, when I tried one, I found I had to keep fiddling with it to keep it running true.

I'd definitely recommend sticking to a max of 10mm

Heck of a choice available to choose from! I got pretty lost I must admit... even with reading the guidance page - informative as it is.

I have bought a selection to try out the company (5) but a good starting point might be 1/4" 6 tpi and a 3/8" 3 or 4 tpi Supertuff Premium. I am trying M42 also and Sabrecut also as well as 1/2".

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have bought a selection to try out the company (5) but a good starting point might be 1/4" 6tpi and a 3/8" 3tpi

Cheers 👍I was thinking along those lines - but which range; premium or...?
I think I've got to seriously look at my wood stock (mostly English yew up to 4" thick) and what I may want to get from it: bowl blanks, re-saw... Also cutting plywood template guides etc. Thinking about blade costs and longevity/live of blade...

I am trying M42 also and Sabrecut also as well as 1/2".
When I got mine last year, I exchanged emails with Ian at TuffSaws about blade selection and, in one of his replies he said

I think your bandsaw will struggle to fully tension the M42 blade so I would stay away from that one but the Premium ones are ideal and the blade life on them is still really good and will last longer than other Carbon based blades.

Entirely up to you but, given his reply, if you've already ordered you might want to contact Ian about changing the M42 for a different blade

Thanks PerryGunn, I was aware of the challenges the M42 material but the reason for my order was really to try these things for myself (research engineer by profession :)) but as you see I recommended the Super for others here but your point is excellent advice.

Count yourself lucky I have 9:42pm to 11:42pm ha ha yeah right

I might ask the missus to stay up late so she can answer the door
I mean it’s only fair as it’s her present to me :)
You may be as lucky as I was and get it delivered two hours earlier than the last time given. Mine was just after 10 but last time slot given was 11:58 👍 I( was just checking and the update showed he had two before me and he turned up at the door.

When I got mine last year, I exchanged emails with Ian at TuffSaws about blade selection and, in one of his replies he said

I think your bandsaw will struggle to fully tension the M42 blade so I would stay away from that one but the Premium ones are ideal and the blade life on them is still really good and will last longer than other Carbon based blades.

Entirely up to you but, given his reply, if you've already ordered you might want to contact Ian about changing the M42 for a different blade

Hi @PerryGunn I've been in touch with Ian asking for some assistance re the materials I'll initially be using the band saw for and he did suggest an M42 as one choice. I mentioned what he told you last year - as you posted above - and he came back with this:
"Hi Frank,
With the M42, the 1/4" and 3/8" run without any problems on my bandsaw - I bought the old version to test blades on.
I have run a 1/2" M42 on it as well but it felt like it was really pushing it to its limit.

1/2" Premium blades run on it with no problems as they are made from slightly thinner material than standard blades. Again I have run 1/2" Carbon on it but felt it was pushing it - never had a problem with the 1/2" Premium though. The continually adjusting of the 1/2" could be down to a number of things - type of 1/2" blade, position of blade on the top wheel, tracking, guide set up etc. "

Hope this also helps others here.

Back