Aldi Bandsaw ( new model) coming soon. Buy it or choose other model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swisstony

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Advice please on bandsaws. Thinking this would be good to add to my small workshop and I know that the Aldi version (Ferrex ) has had good reviews from various people including Peter Millard. Now I see that a new version is coming soon

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-bandsaw/p/810249541009800( obviously delayed by being stuck in the suez canal or something )

So the question is : wait for this one or maybe plum for a similar model from the likes of Titan etc
This one from Screwfix ( which is essentially the same as the current Aldi one )
https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppac...id=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=Google-_-TOKEN1-_-TOKEN2
or this one
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb705bds-80mm-electric-bandsaw-230-240v/5688p
All priced roughly the same . Don't need a full on floor standing one
thanks

Buy the one with the largest throat size (I think that may be the Aldi) @petermillard did a YT 10 Minute Workshop video about them last week or the week before
Thanks, it was his video that prompted me to have a look at their site as he mentioned they were coming soon. I will have another look at the specs between the three re your comments about throat size. Being a novice to bandsaws, assume that is depth from back of the bed ( fence ) to blade ?

Thee aldi one looks pretty much identical to the record power 250 ,at least in the guide department. I've the R one and that guide with the bearings is identical down to the adjustment nut. Plus the RP one is 120 depth of cut which makes me think its just the same machine minus the cast iron table.
I'll see if i can find some more close up shots of it, maybe the insides too, but I'm pretty sure it is the same saw.
My RP ones been in use for near 20 years and hasn't had the tension off in much of that time.
I removed the entire upper guide assembly to give me about a 165mm depth of cut and its been fine after doing that, no blade sliding off the wheel, or any other problems.

Yeah looks identical, and I like the extending table, thats a better feature.

..my 100% recommendation would be to buy it! A few years ago I purchased the smaller one they had prior to this, (I think 8 inch). I fitted a Tuffsaws blade from the off, and it has punched well above its weight, and is probably one of my most used power tools! I was going to get the later/larger model when they first came out, but I procrastinated a little too long and they sold out.
NB I was then going to get a Sheppach Basa 3, and again, went to order it from Screwfix and they had sold out!...recently got a Record BS300, but I still find myself using the little Aldi as it is more convenient for the smaller stuff. (recently replaced the blade with another Tuffsaws and it has given it a new lease of life).

The larger Aldi model seems to benefit from a better table than my earlier model which has a pressed steel table, and it also appears to have a more robust / better roller guide system for the blade.

For me it would be an absolute no brainer to get this one if I was considering a smaller lower cost bandsaw....and with Aldi if you are not happy you can return it anyway....GO FOR IT...before they run out again!!

NB The Sheppach one looks almost identical to the first Aldi bandsaw I got which cost £80, the latest Aldi appears to be a much more robust machine with better table, guides and fence as well as a larger capacity for an extra few pounds...definitely better to wait for the latest Aldi version...

Last edited:
I have the ferrex one similar to this that cuts up to 120mm it's a really good bandsaw for the money, so highly recommended, I think it's worth waiting until it becomes available again.

Thanks, it was his video that prompted me to have a look at their site as he mentioned they were coming soon. I will have another look at the specs between the three re your comments about throat size. Being a novice to bandsaws, assume that is depth from back of the bed ( fence ) to blade ?

By throat I meant the distance from the blade to the frame ... i.e. the largest width you can cut on the LH side of the blade (that measurement also affects the rotation of material if you're cutting curves or shapes) - buy the biggest machine that you can afford . . . I have a small Axminster model and regret springing a bit more money for a larger one.

I’ve owned all three. As others have said the 8” Scheppach is identical to the old Aldi Workzone; great starter bandsaw, never worth the Screwfix asking price though. I had the Titan next; it’s actually a 9” bandsaw, 230mm at the throat so not so different to the Aldi Ferrex, but with the smaller 80mm depth of cut. Took a bit more fettling but a great small saw when you get a decent blade in it. I gave my Titan away when I bought the Aldi Ferrex and it’s still, going strong.

The 10” Ferrex is streets ahead of either of them though, and a great saw for the money. Unless you need something now, then I’d wait until they come back in stock. HTH P

..I've got a thumbs up from Mr. Millard!!!

..now I know what a handshake from Paul Hollywood on Bake off feels like :) !!?

...never tire of watching his youtube vids.....the OH is getting fed up with them and says she would prefer it if I was watching [email protected] at my age I prefer woodworking!!
👍👍 I wouldn’t go that far - you never know where Paul Hollywood’s hands have been, lol - but thank you; it may have been your post about the Aldi bandsaw that prompted me to buy one a few years back! Great little saw, again still going strong to the nest of my knowledge. 👍💪

..my 100% recommendation would be to buy it!

For me it would be an absolute no brainer to get this one if I was considering a smaller lower cost bandsaw....and with Aldi if you are not happy you can return it anyway....GO FOR IT...before they run out again!!

Thank you steve, I agree with what you said and now I just need to wait for it to come back into stock. Obviously when these global shipping shortages resolve themselves it may arrive. In no rush .

I’ve owned all three. As others have said the 8” Scheppach is identical to the old Aldi Workzone; great starter bandsaw, never worth the Screwfix asking price though. I had the Titan next; it’s actually a 9” bandsaw, 230mm at the throat so not so different to the Aldi Ferrex, but with the smaller 80mm depth of cut. Took a bit more fettling but a great small saw when you get a decent blade in it. I gave my Titan away when I bought the Aldi Ferrex and it’s still, going strong.

The 10” Ferrex is streets ahead of either of them though, and a great saw for the money. Unless you need something now, then I’d wait until they come back in stock. HTH P
Hi Peter, many thanks for the reply and avid subscriber of your videos (y). As mentioned it was your take on the various models of bench top ones that got me thinking and then your latest one that popped up was the one that made me look at their site again. Hopefully the new model coming is even a better improvement on the current model which as you say is already great for a starter bandsaw. Appreciate the time(y)

..I've got a thumbs up from Mr. Millard!!!

..now I know what a handshake from Paul Hollywood on Bake off feels like :) !!?

...never tire of watching his youtube vids.....the OH is getting fed up with them and says she would prefer it if I was watching [email protected] at my age I prefer woodworking!!

ha ha :p:p Know how you feel. I make my OH sit down and watch Britans best woodworker as she makes me sit though TGBBO and other tat so its only fair though I think she is fed up with me explaining some of the woodworking terms:)

I have the ferrex one similar to this that cuts up to 120mm it's a really good bandsaw for the money, so highly recommended, I think it's worth waiting until it becomes available again.
When will they be available to buy as I would love one of them

When will they be available to buy as I would love one of them

As linked to in my first post the new model is delayed due to global shortages. So unless you can spend the time clicking that refresh button all day every day , then I think the only thing to do is a) keep across the forums where some person will shout out they got one ( and remember they are online only so no need to wait for a speacialbuy day) and b) sign up to Aldi newsletter as they may drop the arrival in one of those

As linked to in my first post the new model is delayed due to global shortages. So unless you can spend the time clicking that refresh button all day every day , then I think the only thing to do is a) keep across the forums where some person will shout out they got one ( and remember they are online only so no need to wait for a speacialbuy day) and b) sign up to Aldi newsletter as they may drop the arrival in one of those
Many thanks will do 👍

ha ha :p:p Know how you feel. I make my OH sit down and watch Britans best woodworker as she makes me sit though TGBBO and other tat so its only fair though I think she is fed up with me explaining some of the woodworking terms:)

..lol..I also have to watch TGBBO, ...but in exchange I am allowed to watch Henry Cole's Motorbike Show, Shed and Buried, Junk and Disorderly and more recently the current series of Find it, Fix it, Flog it!.....so a fair exchange really.

he (Henry) has a mate (Milyard), who is quite simply a mechanical genius!!

I've had a little Basa 1 Scheppach for around 6 years and it has had some heavy use. Was a bit naff to start with but once I got a decent set of blades for it from Ian at Tuff Saws it has been the little saw that could

Back