Aldi bandsaw - got a dodgy one or are they all poo?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a bandsaw from Aldi 10 or so years ago, my first one. It would always wander to the right no matter how I set it up. I rang the support line (Walter tools) and they said it was the blade. They sent me another one by next day post and that solved the problem immediately. I was curious as to why so examined the blade in detail and realised that although the teeth had a set it was that every other tooth had a set to the right but the other teeth had no set at all hence the wander to the right.

So long story short it was the blade and not the machine.

One of the things that defines a quality bandsaw is the rigidity of the frame because that is what allows a blade to be tensioned and an under tensioned blade will not cut straight. The blade will also have a major part to play, my BS400 was hopeless at cutting straight until I started to use Tuffsaw blades and it changed the machine but it cannot use 1 inch blades like it is supposed to because it will not tension them enough. Tuffsaws also do a thinner section blade which are easier to tension.

But at the end of the day what can you expect for £150, I would get a supertuff premium 3/8 blade from Tuffsaws and work within the machines limitations.
Tuffsaws premium 3/8” x 6tpi is what I replaced the supplied blade with. I didn’t bother using it with the supplied blades, which i’ll keep as extra spares until I need the space they take up.

I also bought a bandsaw from Aldi about 10 years ago when the price was £79.99 if I remember correctly. Upon assembly and using the tensioner I could see the wheels distort and deflect, so I thought this is going to cause me nothing but problems and back to the shop it went without even running it.

Sorry to be a super noob, but can anyone post a link to the specific blade we're talking about as a replacement?

My bandsaw is also... not great. Cut with the standard blades are terrible and they wander badly no matter how much tension I put on it. I also made the (possible) mistake of fiddling with the lower wheel to try and get it to work.

Before I abandon it and cut my losses, I would at least like to try a better blade.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a super noob, but can anyone post a link to the specific blade we're talking about as a replacement?

My bandsaw is also... not great. Cut with the standard blades are terrible and they wander badly no matter how much tension I put on it. I also made the (possible) mistake of fiddling with the lower wheel to try and get it to work.

Before I abandon it and cut my losses, I would at least like to try a better blade.
Its my first bandsaw too, except the huge one I used to use on my Saturday job when I was about 14 (probably not permitted now).
I put a tuffsaws blade in before I cut a bit of wood, but also needed to adjust the bed (was a bit out of level), and the fence (not paralell to blade). I think both these items could cause the cut wandering. I also adjusted the top wheel to get the blade running in the right place and the blade guide bearings, top and bottom. i’m now happy with it given the low cost.
I plan to check the lower pulley too to see if the blade is running straight and not shunting about. This might get rid of the slight vibration, we shall see.
Its worth persevering as these saws, when fitted with a decent blade and fettled a bit, seem ok for the low cost of them.

you'll have to know what length the blade is first, it'll tell you in the manual, then go to the tuffsaws website, I get the tuffsaws supertuff premium blades

Blade length for the current (grey doors) ALDI bandsaw I bought is 1790mm - there is a sticker on the back/top cover with the blade length shown.

Tuffsaws premium 3/8” x 6tpi is what I replaced the supplied blade with. I didn’t bother using it with the supplied blades, which i’ll keep as extra spares until I need the space they take up.
Can you post the link for Tuffsaws need some new blades thought i might try them seen in a lot of posts thanks

One important thing about blades. If you haven't set the guides up properly, then feeding wood through too hard can result in the teeth getting unset. The guides either side of the blade should never come into contact with the teeth, but if the rear guide is too far back, then they will when pressure is applied. This usually 'clamps' one side more than the other, like a vice. The result is that the blade will always wander thereafter.

You've said that the rear guide hasn't enough adjustment, so I suspect this is your issue. Your current blade is toast, but before putting another in, address the rear adjustment issue or the next one will be too. It's possible that there is sufficient rear adjustment, but you had the tracking set up so that the blade tracks too far forward on the wheel?

If the tracking and guides are set up correctly, then you shouldn't need to tighten the blade that much for a decent cut.

One important thing about blades. If you haven't set the guides up properly, then feeding wood through too hard can result in the teeth getting unset. The guides either side of the blade should never come into contact with the teeth, but if the rear guide is too far back, then they will when pressure is applied. This usually 'clamps' one side more than the other, like a vice. The result is that the blade will always wander thereafter.

You've said that the rear guide hasn't enough adjustment, so I suspect this is your issue. Your current blade is toast, but before putting another in, address the rear adjustment issue or the next one will be too. It's possible that there is sufficient rear adjustment, but you had the tracking set up so that the blade tracks too far forward on the wheel?

If the tracking and guides are set up correctly, then you shouldn't need to tighten the blade that much for a decent cut.
The blade on mine was tracking too far forward ’out of the box’, so was the one our son-in-law received. Seems like a lot of them may arrive like this.

I also bought a bandsaw from Aldi about 10 years ago when the price was £79.99 if I remember correctly. Upon assembly and using the tensioner I could see the wheels distort and deflect, so I thought this is going to cause me nothing but problems and back to the shop it went without even running it.
Hmmm, realistically a bandsaw selling for less than 80 quid (probably manufactured for less than 20 quid) is going to be good for cutting cardboard and not much more!

I also rate Tuff Saw blades…..both for wood and metal….
The metal blades I only buy the Cobalt series, they last for ages….
I mostly cut solid round bar 70mm plus or large flat plate…
Ian at Tuff Saw has plenty of knowledge to share…

Back