Aldi Angle Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Makita angle grinder (125mm, with Soft start) cost about £60. It is fine, it does the job.

I walked into Lidl today and there was a £20 Parkside 125mm grinder. There was a box open, so I picked it up, prepared to scoff at its inferiority to the Makita.

Hard to tell without using it, but it looked superior in every way to the Makita, plastic handle was much more robust and rubberised (Makita is hard brittle plastic), Parkside has variable speed control (which would make it useful for polishing operations) and the guard looked more substantial. The whole thing just seemed much better quality. I suppose its what's inside what counts, but some of the Lidl stuff is geniue value for money. I think some of the cheaper Makita Chinese stuff just isn't that great really...

Anyone bought the Parkside?

Yep, bought one a few years ago to take to race meetings so that I could lend it, use it in all weathers, watch people drop it on the floor and not be too bothered etc etc. It's still going strong, never given me a bit of bother.
Can't go wrong at that money really can you?

Happy Christmas.

Had a look at these as well, for £20 seemed like a good value, that is until I saw that bosch ones aren't really that much more expensive.

MrDavidRoberts":2j6ruqu2 said:
Had a look at these as well, for £20 seemed like a good value, that is until I saw that bosch ones aren't really that much more expensive.

True, but even price aside, I'd say the Parkside looks a better tool in every way than the Makita.

phil.p":njcnshx5 said:
Edit the heading to Lidl? :)
It won't let me.

Always make that mistake confusing the two, Wife winds me up about it - we don't even have an Aldi that's close :)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Go to your first post and edit - I'd be surprised if it doesn't, people (inc. me) do it regularly. :D I've just got the Lidl wet and dry vacuum - nice bit of kit for £50, and it's going to get hell beaten out of it for three years.

Went to Lidl to buy the diamond discs (4) and the cutting discs (12) The size was 125mm which is a bit big for my old B&D grinder so bought the Parkside grinder so they would fit.I love Parkside stuff. The batteries can be a bit hit and miss. I have had two refuse to charge but a quick e-mail to Germany and they were replaced with no questions asked. In one case they sent me a 20 volt to replace the faulty 18 volt as it was a better battery and used the same charger.I also have the cordless circular saw and jig saw. Both damn good machines.

My Makita angle grinder lasted less than an hour before the bearings went! I found Makita a nightmare dealing with faults and it has put me off buying any more of their products!!

I replaced it with a Stanley Fat Max which is very well built and has proved reliable over the last couple of years. If Lidl's were stocking an angle grinder at the time I would have bought one because I have been pleased with all the tools I have brought from them.

Regards Keith

Back