Alcove Storage - WIP Lots of Piccies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softtop

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been making some clothes and toy storage for my son on either side of the chimney breast. I'd like to say big thanks to various people and threads on here that have given me ideas and inspired me, especially Armstrong Jordan and Brad Naylor.

So, we have a standard-issue chimney breast with alcoves on either side.

The plan is to have the LH side with clothes drawers and hanger; the RH side has toy boxes and drawers. Both have doors on and then bookshelves above.

Starting with the alcoves, build the support structure:
t_d001.JPG

t_d002.JPG

Then make a set of bookshelves out of MDF and Dominoes to go on top:
t_d003.JPG

Same the other side. Add some architrave/moulding round the edges:
t_d004.JPG

Next I ripped up a bunch of oak for the fronts, and poplar for the sides, and got cracking on my dovetailing. All done with the Leigh jig. I am using plywood for the bases.
Half-blind fronts:
t_d007.JPG

Though backs:
t_d008.JPG

All ready to glue:
t_d010.JPG

Glued up and sanded:
t_d011.JPG

t_d012.JPG

t_d013.JPG

I bought some cheap drawer runners from Ironmongery Direct, which are a push to open variety:
t_d014.JPG

t_d015.JPG

They take up quite a bit of space though, so you need to leave gaps between the drawers:
t_d016.JPG

t_d017.JPG

I have used shellac and wax on the oak.

Then for the other side I took two large slabs of oak. Too big for the machines so I needed to plane and thickness them by hand:
t_d018.JPG

t_d019.JPG

t_d020.JPG

You certainly know about it after doing that!

I sliced one into three pieces to make toy boxes:
t_d021.JPG

I routed some handles and put through dovetails all round:
t_d022.JPG

Glue up:
t_d023.JPG

...and there you are:
t_d024.JPG

Sealed and waxed:
t_d025.JPG

Then add four rubber casters:
t_d026.JPG

Next I built a set of MDF boxes for the pull-out drawers:
t_d027.JPG

I cut up the other large slab of oak into surround pieces and drawers, so the grain flows through the whole thing.

Attaching the surround pieces:
t_d028.JPG

t_d029.JPG

Making the handles on the router table (did this before cutting out the fronts to make it easier to manipulate them):
t_d032.JPG

Then sliced up all the pieces for fronts, sides and backs (also oak), and then dovetailed up:
t_d033.JPG

t_d034.JPG

t_d035.JPG

Glue up:
t_d036.JPG

...and you have a drawer:
t_d037.JPG

Eight in fact:
t_d038.JPG

Finally, putting it all together:
t_d039.JPG

t_d040.JPG

t_d041.JPG

t_d042.JPG

t_d043.JPG

Then I made some doors out of poplar and plywood, with mouldings made on the router table, and all Dominoed together:
t_d045.JPG

t_d046.JPG

t_d047.JPG

I fitted them with those magnetic push catches so they don't need handles:
t_d048.JPG

t_d050.JPG

Just the painting left to do now, though may be a little while before I get on to that.

Plus they are already full of clothes and toys!

Thanks for looking.

Henry

Nice work. the storage boxes look really good. Its a very nice practical storage.
Look forward to seing it finished.
Owen

Hi softtop, came across some of your pictures on Pinterest and your guide sounds really good and thorough but seems like the links of the pictures don't work anymore. Would it be possible to re-upload? It would be a great help!

Latest posts

Back