Alcove shelves - shelf thickness & material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question - I've been asked to make some v basic shelves for a friend in a couple of alcoves. I think they're after a series of shelves rather than a unit. The spec is strong enough to hold art books without bowing.

Suggestions on fixing and thickness/material for the shelves? Price is a big driver for them, but so are flat shelves!

Thanks
Oli

+1 for the saagulator. Painted shelves? Fixed or adjustable? Span? Depth? They all have an affect.

For me, if it’s painted shelves, then 22 or 25mm MRMDF. Fixed through the sides and back, then lip the front edge in solid, but lip front and back edges in solid if the shelves are adjustable. 👍

Depends on life requirement - I see why you use MDF, but, unless the edge/lip is pretty rigid and the books are very light, looks great to start when painted, but it will slowly bend over the years, especially if it ever gets too humid.

I'd go with tyreman's suggestion as long as the span is not too great - if over about 30ins/7-800mm then thicker if softwood, or design so the shelf can be flipped every year or two, especially if more than just paperbacks. Check what you buy for bow and wind and if poss acclimatise in the house where it's to be.

nb a shelf of artbooks can be very heavy

nb a shelf of artbooks can be very heavy
That's exactly why I was asking! Is furniture board/laminated pine a non-starter? The vibe I get is painted white gloss.

Any advice on fixings? Previously I've always done shelves in some form of carcass so fixing into timber. What would you guys use to fix in brick?

Latest posts

Back