Alcove project finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filament

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I would post my recent project partly to say thanks to the forum for all the info I’ve had from searches over the past few months.

I’m a moderately confident DIY-er but have never really ‘made’ anything before, but the combination of partner being desperate for alcove organisation but being on furlough meant that I thought I’d have a go myself at some cupboards and shelves.

As I posted recently, I’ve been using our drive as a workshop (so the near constant drizzle recently was not fun!) but I’m pretty pleased with the result.

Typically it wasn’t simple, as the RH wall is single-skin external and prone to condensation if there isn’t airflow, so decided to include:
- Two big holes in the side of the cupboard
- Laser-cut mdf vent on face board. (Held in the recess with a magnet so it is easily removed for access)
- Recessed vent in countertop
- TV box on French Cleat shelf in void, which should (I think!) maintain enough warmth to prevent any damp.

Also made a cut-out in the bottom of cupboard (with magnet underneath so it can be lifted with a skittle-shaped magnet) to access a strip of plugs in the void beneath, rather than having them clutter up in the inside of the cupboard.

All in all, though I can see all of the little mistakes and ‘will do better next time’ bits as I’m sure you can, I’m very happy with it as a first project.
(New carpet being fitted soon)

Now, some major thank-you’s to make to individuals whose YouTube instruction has been invaluable:

Our very own @petermillard and his excellent 10 minute workshop series (alcove cupboard walkthrough and tracksaw workshop particularly)
Freebird Interiors for the alcove plans which acted as a great basis for my adaptations and his alcove cupboard video series
Gosforth Handyman for floating shelves how-to and incredibly straightforward Sketchup tutorials that (as someone who can’t draw for toffee) were invaluable for bringing initial ideas to life.

All of the above gave me not only instruction and confidence but the all important explanations behind the methodology which are so often missed by YouTube ‘how to’s’.

Now to plan the next one!

Attachments

• E8605D33-176C-41E8-8CFD-F507C1F27C9F.jpeg
    E8605D33-176C-41E8-8CFD-F507C1F27C9F.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 2E4F7082-31E2-45EA-B8BD-3407B7C4D053.jpeg
    2E4F7082-31E2-45EA-B8BD-3407B7C4D053.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7981.mp4
    17.9 MB
Looks great, big improvement and must be satisfying looking at it now.

Thanks. It certainly is satisfying. Carcasses were ok but once I moved onto all the visible bits, every time I made a cut was stressful as I only had enough 22mm to have one go at each element.

Looks absolutely fantastic and several cunning and well thought out parts to the design. I especially like the removable 'grill' and the french cleat shelf behind but like @TRITON wonder where the wine stash is. 😁

Back