Alan Peters step stool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love that I’m not the only one who’s projects have interesting time spans! Looking great btw.

Fitz

Quite pleased with the change in dimensions. Sacrilege maybe but the proportions look reasonably balanced.

now to build the full sized piece. Should take 3 years if I scale up the time line as well.

it does look good & you can’t rush a good job 🤔 🙂

the stools seem like a "tori" gate design with a few arts and crafts flourishes. the only other Barnsley design I can recall is the hayrake table. what other design features are common to this school?

Here's another photo of the stool,

View attachment 73818

One other tip to help get the wedges identical, instead of just bashing one home then moving on to the other, use a sized block next to the wedge so both wedges can only get inserted by the same identical amount, and tap them home alternating from side to side.

Smashing project, good luck with it!
Wow, that's a super piece of work. Wish I was able to turn out pieces like this!

Wow, that's a super piece of work. Wish I was able to turn out pieces like this!

That's kind of you to say Dave, but I guarantee you could make one of those. It's only difficult if you don't know how it's done, once someone has shown you how to make it, then it's no longer all that hard. And that's true for about 99% of woodworking! It's why I believe investing in training is the key to getting the most out of woodworking as a hobby.

the stools seem like a "tori" gate design with a few arts and crafts flourishes. the only other Barnsley design I can recall is the hayrake table. what other design features are common to this school?

There are so many design features that are characteristic of the Barnsley Workshop, from a love affair with octagons to the scalloped shapes that you see in the Hayrake Table carried over into all sorts of other applications. Take this jewellery box for example,

Clamshell Jewellry Box.jpg

But there are also lots of tiny details. There's the distinctive method of wedging through tenons that was discussed earlier in this thread, but another example is a certain method of shaping the buttons used to hold on table tops into a signature wedge shape. Here are the Oak buttons securing a Fiddleback Maple top,

Buttons-05.jpg

Once you know what you're looking for it's details like these that pretty much scream "Barnsley".

Custard
There are so many design features that are characteristic of the Barnsley Workshop, from a love affair with octagons to the scalloped shapes that you see in the Hayrake Table carried over into all sorts of other applications. Take this jewellery box for example,

View attachment 100222

But there are also lots of tiny details. There's the distinctive method of wedging through tenons that was discussed earlier in this thread, but another example is a certain method of shaping the buttons used to hold on table tops into a signature wedge shape. Here are the Oak buttons securing a Fiddleback Maple top,

View attachment 100221

Once you know what you're looking for it's details like these that pretty much scream "Barnsley".
[/QUOTE

Here’s my take on the Hayrake Table

Attachments

• 554FB399-2297-4E0B-8DCD-E88D578488F4.jpeg
    554FB399-2297-4E0B-8DCD-E88D578488F4.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 5DE46EC1-99E2-40CC-A609-EFF568264B9B.jpeg
    5DE46EC1-99E2-40CC-A609-EFF568264B9B.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 16
Much delayed update - I glued up the half size prototype only last night. A slow burner this one.
Very well done. Time is something many of us don't have enough of. Your determination to get this done is impressive.

Back