Airlite respirator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello gents,
I picked up a second hand 3M Airlite respirator for £50 recently and it seemed to be a good price untill I discovered it has been discontinued for some years now.
Whilst it has had very little use and came with a new unopened filter I am now wondering how much life may be expected from the filter cartridge and a source of filters in the UK
Many thanks
Tony

Tony,
I will not tell you that it is a good idea but I used one of those visors for about 5 years and because the filters were rather expensive for struggling craftsmen I used to vacuum them regularly, the wrong way, and used only 2 filters in the whole period.

As to obtaining new filters, I think you may have your work cut out but it is always possible that 3M might inform you of a supplier somewhere?

Why not try posting your request on one or more of the American woodturning forums, you never know someone somewhere may have one or two left over from an update?

Regards Peter.

Thanks Peter, I have considered reverse flowing the filter with an air line since discovering my predicament, its fine for now but I am considering the future.

Tony

I've used one new filter on mine in about ten years of intermittent use :( . Probably not a good idea, but still seems to work OK, with reasonable airflow on the monitor.
Sadly, a bigger problem is the physical strength of the various components and the lifespan of the small battery pack. Mine is now reaching the stage where there's nearly as much duct tape as original plastic, and the iindividual NiCd cells are unobtainable anywhere. However, normal AA size NiCds can be fitted and seem to do the job.

But it's definitely better than nowt.

If power is a problem why not visit Maplins?

They used to sell a battery pack* that can be modified to take NiMh batteries, I use the same for my Trend Airshield, it has trebled the time between recharges.(Battery pack goes into my back pocket)

There are so many adaptors available that it is relatively easy to construct a whole new arrangement.

Regards Peter.

PS Try this link for a switched battery box:- http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product ... cts_id=226

PPS * (NO LONGER STOCKED)

Thanks gents
My Airlite is as new, I now think that with care and cleaning the filter should last me a long enough time to get my fifty quids worth from it.
I have no trouble rebuilding the battery pack should it fail.

Tony

Latest posts

Back