Airless paint sprayers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave

Have not brought or used the 590, mainly because it was pushed so hard on the shopping channels. I am always suspicous of products that seem to need pressure sales!

I have tried a freinds Control Pro 250M when they were doing a hallway and it was impressive, but I did not have to do the masking up beforehand which took some time. It was also not hard to clean which is another bonus, but using water based paints and the finish was even and smooth, no orange peel. All my previous spraying was done using gravity fed guns and a compressor using cellulose.

Just a comment on the finish of the Fuji. With a lacquer on well prepared birch ply cabinet interiors the finish was glass like with 3 coats, the outside end panels and doors using a matt finish was smooth flat and matt again with 3 coats and easier at least for me to get that finish than with a roller and tipping off brush which I have done in the past.

From a few youtube videos, testing to get the viscosity, pressure and paint flow just so seems to be the way
to a silky smooth finish. Worth watching a few.

I've just got a used graco air assisted airless 30 to1 pump and g40 gun. I paid £300. rebuilt the gun that cost £51 for a few white plastic washers! industrial stuff means rip off prices. anyway I tried it today on my 25l lidl compressor....it worked fairly well. of course it needs better but it worked. I was spraying valpar v700 wood and metal. that stuff wouldn't go through a hvlp unless very thin. it was actually much less oversprayey than hvlp(and quieter as well) but it gave you the facility to spray thick water based in sufficient quantity to have runs something that's difficult with hvlp and really something to aim for otherwise the whole process is painfully slow. of course the equipment eats 3/4 litre but you get it back when you clean it!
so its like an airless but powered by compresed air (an air motor)it also introduces air at the tip to get rid of the tramlines inherent in airless (unless you boost the fluid pressure) i was working at 40 or 50 psi(so 40psi times 30 is about 1200 psi fluid pressure)
ps i much prefer the graco hvlp stuff.

I took me ages to get the gun clean as some Burke had got the air and fluid lines the wrong way around so that thick rubbery joinery coating was blocking the airways. thinners only made it like chewing gum!

Save time, use a sprayer...
Swapping painting time for prep and cleanup. Swings and roundabouts?
Watched one youtube video recently, the sprayer was being slagged off something rotten, always blocking etc.
It was caked in old paint externally. You can guess what the innards were like.

Back