Air vent in larder/pantry?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya

I am going to build a floor-to-ceiling cupboard in the corner of the kitchen, approximately 10.5 square feet.

It will have the washing machine at the bottom, and shelves above for tinned goods etc. Not sure if this makes it a larder, pantry or neither. Anywho, that's by-the-by.

My query concerns venting. There is already a low-level vent going through to outside, that will end up being inside the cupboard (once constructed). It's a simple lined hole with mesh/grille covering either end.

Will this be helpful in preventing damp/mould? Or is it likely to promote it? It's a 1930s bungalow with cavity walls and concrete floors. The kitchen currently doesn't have any heating, but I will be fitting a CH radiator.

Thanks!

p.s. big thanks to everyone who helped with my soldering queries a while back - most of the rads have now been replaced (by me)

AIUI a washing machine will increase humidity -cans may be more likely to rust, other dry goods (eg: flour, sugar, etc) will absorb moisture. Increased cupboard temperature due to machine operation could adversely affect other perishable food stored.

Personally I would be inclined to fit a small fan in the vent space, linked to the washing machine so it operates only when the washing machine is on. Also a vent in the door so air can circulate.

Alternatively you could leave as is, and monitor in the knowledge you may need to retrofit!

Thanks for the reply. A switched fan is a good shout, as the hard work of making a hole has already been done for me.

If your vent only has mesh at each end any breeze means you'll get a cold draft coming in during to winter - this will lead to a backdraft through through a door vent (or underneath/around it) making the kitchen colder. To reduce the cold air ingress, I'd fit a flap vent with insect screen on the outside of the vent hole

If you rely on a fan working only when the washing machine is on, you may still get humid air in the cupboard when cooking etc. so consider using a bathroom fan with an adjustable humidity switch. Condensation in the cupboard might still be an issue if it gets cold in the winter so, if it's not receiving sufficient warmth from the kitchen, I'd also think about fitting a tube heater in the cupboard to keep the temperature above the dew point.

I'd put a full width/depth shelf over the washing machine to isolate it from the food cupboard above.
If behind doors it'd need vents top and bottom - just a gap above/below the doors. Washing machines quite warm so should be self drying if ventilated.
Not sure about the existing vent - it depends how well the rest of the room is ventilated. I'd guess it was there for draught for a coal fire and is redundant.
Can't see any need for powered fans, extra heating, etc. if the kitchen is reasonably ventilated to start with. Not much escapes from a washing machine while it's working, it's only when you open the doors to get wet washing out.

The airing cupboard in my bedroom has a fine mesh vent(about 6"x3") through tot he outside and i've never had any damp or otherwise problems.
Cellars that aren't well ventilated suffer from dampness, so I think for you to have one fitted it would help rather than hinder.

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like it already being there isn't going to be issue, so I shall crack on!

The Georgians usually ran a vent pipe underground from the pantry to the North side of the house. Even they knew the value of ventilation.

Electric extractor vent, with a humidistat inbuilt. This will control the humidity all the time, so it's a set and forget option, better than a timed or over run extractor.

Hi Disco Monkey, you need two vent possibly even three. I'd personally do the mechanical vent around the top of the washing machine compartment (hot, moist air rises) then create a panel between the washing machine and food stuffs. The food compartment would need a vent at the bottom to bring in cool fresh air and one at the top for stale warm air. You can insulate the walls and doors with Rockwool etc as Pu foam boards are known to "off gas"
You finished a 392 unit apartment block in Manchester each had a "Pantry" were the direction from our M&E Engineers was to make it Cool, Dark (light can have an effect on certain foodstuffs) and well ventilated. Hope this helps

As Jacob says, you need separate top, and bottom, cupboards with individual doors, wth two vents in each cupboard. No need for more.

Back