Air Tool Compressor Set up Question - oiler & filter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

If air tools require lubricating & protection from water ingress why don't compressors for air tools come with oilers & filters fitted ..& then why do no videos of on site usage show anyone having them fitted either? Is it not as important as the manufacturer's make out? You can put a few drops of oil in the line every so often I guess but the water ingress would still be an issue - no?

Thanks in advance
Togs

I guess it is because compressors are used for a multitude of tasks as well as running air tools and the oil would cause issues for spraying, dusting, pressure pots and a whole host of other applications

Air separators do protect your air tools and airline fittings from corrosion, it is amazing how much water can be present. These days many air tools are now battery and so compressors are finding less use, but I believe they are still mainstream for spraying auto bodies. I used to run a clean dry supply for sandblasting and spraying and a lubed supply for air tools but as said things change.

Hmm ?.. Good points. I'll see about doing 2 separate runs as well. I just find it very surprising that not 1 nailer video mentions either. I did some spraying recently & I could see water spurting from a leak on the compressor (not mine) & now I need a nailer it started me thinking.

I've been using the same nailgun for over 20 yrs.
A couple of drops of oil each day is all it gets.
Some days I forget.

I put a small oil cooler rad in between the compressor pump and my tank to cool the air has made a huge difference in the amount of water that collects in the tank after use. Its only a 50l tank so works hard to keep up with my useage sometimes, simple and effective dry air.

Artie - that's good to know & saves me some hassle. Do you bother with an air filter ?
Lazarus - have you a photo of that set up please ? I cannot imagine what you have.

I think very few people use those inline oilers outside of static industrial machines. Whenever I've enquired about them on engineering forums noone speaks highly of them and recommends manual dosing.

Water traps, however, are an entirely different matter. All sorts of copper tube inventions to seperate water.

My own setup for spraying us a compressor 25m away, then a regulator and water bowl, then more hose, then a three stage filter for the air fed and gun.

I'm still not convinced this is adequate and will probably add some copper drops at some point.

Back