air system to lightly blow away dust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sllca

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have recently bought my 1st trim router at the age of 52, purposely to make free hand wood signs. I started with a Katsu trim router. Made a Perspex base with handles for better control and added LED lights by gluing to the collar for better vision. Now I have bought 2 old routers ... Black and decker DN66 and a Bosch POF 52 . They are both excellent cutters, very steady and the vision is now excellent. My only problem is that they both are leaving dust where I need to see while routing out the letters / pictures. Can anyone help with what I can use to lightly blow away the dust when working, some kind of air system that I can regulate, without having to buy a great big compressor.
Thank you everyone
Steve

here are 2 I have made

Attachments

• we're all mad here.jpg
    we're all mad here.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 37
You need good dust extraction not compressed air to blow the dust around. A Henry Hoover with a HEPA filter will do the job.

The downdraught from the router sounds weak. The router cooling air blast should clear the cutting area unless your cuts are deep / narrow or into resinous wood.
Dust extraction would be a better solution but that often uses shields around the bit that ruin the visibility that you have worked to achieve and need for freehand work.
You may want to take a look at the latest router models from Bosch as I think one of those has dust extraction built into the baseplate so possibly extracts without ruining your visibility.
Festool routers have a good reputation for extraction and there's one elu/dewalt model that extracts up inside an oversize plunge column that might be suitable too.
Perhaps owners of any of these will offer a recommendation.
Worst case, wear serious PPE and tape a compressed air line to your router !!!

I have a big makita router with hoover hooked up, and when milling on flat surface, all of the dust goes in the hoover.

Back