Air shield as gloated by Philly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
Philly.

Is it possible you could show some more pics from your recently acquired Air shield.

is it a powered one??, and how much is that one, and what are your first impressions

Thanks

McLuma

Hey Mc
Used it in anger this morning-a neat little thing it is too!
It is pretty light-you certainly don't feel as if you are "top heavy". The fan is fairly quiet and blows a cool flow of filtered air over your face. I got used to wearing it really quickly and when I finally took it off (after sanding, etc) was quite surprised how smelly the workshop was :roll:
It is comfortable to wear and leaves your lungs clean-nice.
I'll report back once I've spent a few weeks with it.
Cheers
Philly :D

I have used mine for a long time now and i would not be without it.

While its obvious use, it also comes into its own on really hot days where the cold air keeps you really cool.

Most other masks in this category have a trailing wires to the battery pack, which can get caught on machines etc, but the Air shield does not hamper you in this way, because the second battery goes into the other side of the helmet.

IMHO the only downside is the 14 hours it takes to charge the battery.

If you do buy one then i would recommend that you buy a second battery and charger because this will allow you to use it for a continuous 8 hours.

Regards

Woody

What about hearing protection when wearing the Air Shield? Do ear protectors fit over it easily? (Any particular make/model required?)

Thanks,
Paul.

Paul, i use both ear plugs and muffs (not at the same time) with no problems.

Regards

Woody

It is pretty light-you certainly don't feel as if you are "top heavy".

Can you give a rough idea ie about the same as muffs and goggles etc.

Woody: I know you have a pair of air filters as well (plus I wear the airshield when making dust) but was there any particular reason why you went for this rather than others eg airshield edit: obviously I meant airace :roll: ?

Cheers

Tim

Philly":154uj7fk said:
Hey Mc
Used it in anger this morning-a neat little thing it is too!
It is pretty light-you certainly don't feel as if you are "top heavy". The fan is fairly quiet and blows a cool flow of filtered air over your face. I got used to wearing it really quickly and when I finally took it off (after sanding, etc) was quite surprised how smelly the workshop was :roll:
It is comfortable to wear and leaves your lungs clean-nice.
I'll report back once I've spent a few weeks with it.
Cheers
Philly :D
I have had mine for about 9 months now - what a difference when cutting MDF - the only problem is remembering to wear it. I installed a second battery so it now lasts up to 8 hours between charges

I've only had mine for 8 days and I just keep asking myself why I didn't get it sooner. The filtering effects seem excellent but thats only part of it. The cool fresh air accross your face makes it comfortable to wear for a long periods. I managed a full 4 hours in the workshop on saturday morning and don't recall taking it off. Downside does seem to be the battery charge time if you wanted to use it all day every day then a second battery and charger would be a must.

cd

With all this praise for something I know I should buy, does anyone have a pointer for any offers on at the moment?

Freetochat":16utpzoo said:
With all this praise for something I know I should buy, does anyone have a pointer for any offers on at the moment?

I second that

Just a small note, how does this go with wearing ear defenders

Tim wrote:

Woody i know you have a pair of air filters as well (plus i wear the airshield when making dust) but was there any particular reason why you went for this rather than others eg airace?

I discounted the Airace because it is not powered, and i have always worn powered masks, such as the Racal Airlite. I did consider the JSP Powercap, but i decided against it because its battery is on the end of a wire which runs down and is clipped to your belt.
This was one of the bad points about the Racal, because its 8 hour battery had the same sort of wire and it was forever catching on my machines etc.

The only other fault the Racal had was unlike the Trend Airshield it did not flip up at the front.

All in all IMHO once you have used a powered respirator you will not be happy about wearing a non-powered one again. With a non-powered one i am forever feeling stuffed up, but as CD says the powered variety keeps you feeling fresh.
Again IMHO the Trend Airshield for its price is about the best on the market.

Freetochat www.turners-retreat.co.uk are giving a extra battery with the Airshield worth about £18, but take a look around as there may be an even better deal.

Regards

Woody

Neil its a £1 cheaper, but you do get a extra battery from the turners-retreat.

Regards

Woody

I'm a weekend woodworker and currently don't have any dust protection other than a basic face mask (which often gets discarded because my glasses start to mist up and I get hot wearing it).

I was considering getting a dust extractor (one of the small Axminster units) which continues to seem like a good idea from the point of view of keeping the workshop and enviroment clear; however, these face shields have caught my attention recently...

I can only really justify buying either the dust extractor or the mask in the short-term, therefore, was wondering which people would go for first?

Hi Matt,

Personally i would go for the mask, and buy the dust extractor at a later date. It may not keep your workshop clean but it will certainly do wonders for your lungs.

I do not know what tools or machines you have, but there are some cheap hoovers on the market now, which you could at least fit to your power tools, and hoover the floor at the end of the day.

Regards

Woody

I'm with Woody there Matt, look after your lungs first.
Dust in the workshop or on a newly finished surface may not look pretty but you will look a lot worse if it gets in your lungs.

Hi Everyone
I've had the Airshield for about 6 months now and use it most days. I really think I should have bought it much earlier as it seems to me to be the most incredible device for keeping the dust out of your lungs. I wear glasses and there is really no problem with them steaming up in any way at all. You get total freedom to move around and you can flip up the visor or lift the whole thing off without any problem at all, just like taking your hat off. I also recommend a second battery but would suggest not bothering with a second charger unless you expect to use it for several hours every day. I also bought an Air Filtration System a couple of weeks ago from Axminster and would thoroughly recommend this as well, but as to which one to go for first, I would say without doubt it would be the Airshield. I hope this is of some help.
All the best
John

Hi john

johnjin":3gz58udp said:
I've had the Airshield for about 6 months now and use it most days.

Good to see you posting again.

Do you have a feel for consumables? Are there any that you should buy straight away?

Thanks
Neil

Back