Air hoses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a brand new, damaged, Aldi compressor very cheaply.
I wish to attach a 'curly' hose and find that the female fittings are quarter inch NPT threads, same as with my other compressor.
Everybody on E-Bay seems to sell only quarter BSP fittings, yet I'm prepared to bet all Asian made units are NPT threads.
Anyone know of a supplier?

Roy.

NPT threaded fittings are commonly used, if i was you i would just try a local pneumatics supplier...

Roy, my locals made me up a 1m length of hose as an 'adapter' with one fitting at one end to suit the compressor, but a fitting to suit the device at the other - I know I'm not giving you a supplier, but could you adapt any fittings you already have? If you had one of these hoses, could you swop it round as you needed to?

Sam

It looks as though I shall have to do something along those lines Sam. E-Bay suppliers are offering hoses at much lower prices than my local chap, but he may have adapters etc. I'll be trying in the morning.
He sells Asian made compressors so hopefully he'll have some NPT fittings or a hose.
Seems to have been nothing but niggly problems lately! :cry:

Roy.

Roy, if you are making up an adapter yourself and haven't been advised on the clinching of the metal clips holding the hoses onto the metal fittings, sling me a PM and I'll give you a quick tip my guys gave me. The pressure can cause hose and fitting to violently separate 150psi suddenly propelling metalwork round an enclosed workshop is far too close to ballistic speeds for my liking! Sam

Cheers Sam, I'll see how I get on later today.
I have another compressor but that's in use in the metal working shop and I got fed up with moving it back and forth.

Roy.

It's alright for some Sam, I've just found out that my local chap is on holiday, in Turkey!

Roy.

I may well be one of the ebay sellers you have looked at.
This is a common problem with smaller compressors and my best advice is to convert to 1/4bsp fittings as the thread you have is not the same as that on all air tools so you end up trying to mix and match with the fittings you have.
If you take out the connector from the compressor you will find that it is a bsp thread just replace it with a PCL coupling and then work from there. If you want to retain the hose that you have got an ebay seller that you may have already seen sells kits for 6mm, 8mm and 10mm id hose to convert to industry standard couplings.

This is an Aldi compressor that was returned damaged, the quick release coupling had split the female thread.
I checked the thread by running a 1/4 NPT plug tap down it, the tap is a perfect match for the thread on the QR coupling as well, thus I take it as being NPT.
I appreciate that there is little difference between 1/4 BSP and 1/4 NPT, but a 1/4 plug tap can be turned into the thread with my fingers.

Roy.

Digit":30wkvh9h said:
This is an Aldi compressor that was returned damaged, the quick release coupling had split the female thread.
I checked the thread by running a 1/4 NPT plug tap down it, the tap is a perfect match for the thread on the QR coupling as well, thus I take it as being NPT.
I appreciate that there is little difference between 1/4 BSP and 1/4 NPT, but a 1/4 plug tap can be turned into the thread with my fingers.

Roy.

I think that the thread you have is a fine parallel gas thread and bsp is a coarse tapered thread. The thread in the compressor will probably be bsp.

Back