Air filters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Searching the forum threw up a few threads about this but left a number of questions unanswered as far as I could see. The special offer on the Perform CCAF from Axminster has prompted me to think about getting one.

However...

1) What exactly IS the difference between 'hobby' and 'trade'. To sum up we have the Perform CCAF rated as hobby use and 300 cu.m volume workshop and the Jet AFS-500 rated 'trade' and a lowly 120 cu. m volume. Which kind of confuses me.

And some of you have the Axminster MTM rated at 90 cu m and 'Light Trade'

2) If you mount them high up (as suggested by some vendors), aren't you always up a ladder cleaning the filters? Is there any rule of thumb as to performance hit if you mount it lower in a more accessible place?

My workshop is 21ft x 21ft x 7ft and then there is the roof void which adds another 8 ft to the overall height. I calculate this to be about 135 cu. m but I can't decide which one to go for.

Time precludes making one up which I appreciate is another option.

Cheers

Roger

I have recently bought the JET AFS-500. One point to consider in price comparisons is that the machine includes the standard filter, and a washable filter is an option you have to buy separately.
You don't have to put it up, it can also just be put on the workbench or a small table/shelf on the wall. Apparently, mounting it next to a wall helps circulation.

Furthermore, pretty quiet.

Finally, after opening it up I can imagine you can build one yourself. It is just a metal box with a multi-speed switch and a squirrel cage blower....

Duncan

Hi Roger

In the front of the Axminster catalogue it gives a definition of the ratings:

hobby 100 hours annually
light trade 300 hours annually
trade 1000 hours annually

I have the jet one JET AFS-500 mounted high enough for me to reach without steps to change/clean the filters

Regards

Andy

Andy,

hobby 100 hours annually

Its probably me being a bit thick here, but what do they mean by 100, 300,and 1000 hours annually?

As I understand it, you should get a filter that cleans the air in your workshop at least 10 times an hour. So a 100m3 would need a filter with an air movement of 1000m3.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":36d5pk5i said:
Andy,

hobby 100 hours annually

Its probably me being a bit thick here, but what do they mean by 100, 300,and 1000 hours annually?

As I understand it, you should get a filter that cleans the air in your workshop at least 10 times an hour. So a 100m3 would need a filter with an air movement of 1000m3.

Cheers

Mike

Figures relate to maximum usage but the catalogue gives a more detailed explanation and also recommends 6 times per hour air change

Andy

Andy/Duncan...

what sizes are your respective workshops and also what dust extraction/chip collection do you have as I reckon that air filters are only part of the picture.

Thanks

Roger

My workshop=my livingroom and is approx 4m x 4.5m x 3.5 m=63 m^3 and I have a CT22 for sanding and routing.

All my woodworking is boat-related. when I want to varnish something I run the airfilter for some time to control the dust.

duncan

Roger - I've got the Axminster MTM and have it running 3 times a day from an electronic timer, twice during the day for an hour and then in the evening for 4 hours so the air is cleaned at the end of the day. I have it placed about 7' off the ground about 2/3 the way down one long side of the 'shop which gives a good air flow when its switched on:

pici234.jpg

It's a very good little machine, filters are dead easy to clean with the shop vac and is ideal for my shop (20x12x8'). I can't see the need for multiple speed units, just seems to add to the complexity when all you really need to do is to shift air thru' a bit of filter material. Keep it simple...works for me :D - Rob

I've noticed that the Perform CCAF has twice the area open to the air as the Axminster MTM, maybe the extra £20 is better value. Having said that I like DaveL's "this is one I made earlier" :D

I've been pondering on which to buy for weeks if not months over the same points that Roger raises.

The Perform CCAF Shifts over 900 cubic metres an hour more than adaquet for my shop. But its 150 watt and rated lower as "Hobby" and yet Axminster's MTM rated as "Light Trade" is only 65 watt and only shifts 600 c m.

I'm really torn to order the Perform at the price Axminster are doing it for.

Anyone got one? How noisy is it ?

Fwiw, I went for a lower capacity volume of air shifted. Reading the info somewhere (can't remember where) it said that you need to consider just gently re-circulating the air in the shop. With my MTM running I am aware that there is a bit of a breeze in the workshop and I definitely don't want it on all the time, so the running period is limited. If I had gone for a larger model then then half a gale :shock: would be blowing inside the 'shop - Rob

Whilst these dust extractors are undoubtabley a good idea if you wish to recirculate warm dry air (cold winter months).

For the rest of the year, a simple fan extractor serves a dual purpose of dumping dust laden air outside and cooling too.

Point I'm making is if you have both systems then you could calculate your dust extractor's total working life over part of the year.

Extractor fans should be cheaper & quieter to run (no filter resistance).

One other point - I'm at odds with the idea of placing the dust extractor inlet higher than head height. It's my respirable air I'm trying to keep clean, not the air in the roof void.

I am thinking of putting something in my small (10x8) shed/workshop so would i be better of with one of these filter systems or a fan extractor? and what sort of fan extractor?

Lurker wrote:
One other point - I'm at odds with the idea of placing the dust extractor inlet higher than head height. It's my respirable air I'm trying to keep clean, not the air in the roof void
My MTM is positioned just over head height and pushes out air which does recirculate all through the 'shop, not just the roof space. The other night the air flow was flapping a piece of paper on my notice board which is at waist height and is caused the 'shop alarm to go off twice :x until I'd worked out what was causing the problem.
That said, my 'shop has a flat roof, others with a gable roof may find, as you say, that only the air in the upper part of the roof space is being cleaned - Rob

Woodbloke,

I don't see the point in running an extractor "after hours".

Its just keeping the residual dust airborne and running up electricity costs and wearing out the machine.
Overnight any dust will settle if the air is still.

Its a good idea to get into the habit of running the shop vac round horizontal surfaces fairly regularly to clear out this settled dust.

lurker":18i8zjiw said:
Woodbloke,

I don't see the point in running an extractor "after hours".

Its just keeping the residual dust airborne and running up electricity costs and wearing out the machine.
Overnight any dust will settle if the air is still.

Its a good idea to get into the habit of running the shop vac round horizontal surfaces fairly regularly to clear out this settled dust.

The theory is that any dust created during the course of the working day is cleared over a longer period when the workshop is quiet so leaving the air clean for the next day...seems to work. I agree that regular cleaning of horizontal surfaces also keeps the dust at bay, my 'shop gets done once a week. Even so, with regular hoovering and air cleaning there's still a little bit of dust that accumulates, which is annoying....goes with the territory I 'spose. As for power consumption, the motor is rated at 65w, less than 1/10 hp....you'll use up allot more 'leccy just making a brew with a 3Kw kettle :D - Rob

:idea: As I've got a gable roof and hot air rises, just wondered what would happen if I mounted the air filter at low level and ducted the incoming air from the top of the gable.

That was, assuming there was a good enough airflow going, hotair would be drawn down from the roof space, airborne dust would be sucked upwards away from me and it would be easier to clean the filters. Just a thought.

I suppose position as in height will make a huge difference, has anyone tried different positions?

What about Microclene

fine-dust-filter-780.jpg

How do they rate against box types? and who sell them the cheapest?

Roger,

Your way you would be drawing the heavily dust laden air at the lower levels up past your face.

What you want is low level (bench height does it for me) inlet and high out.

Give me a few minutes and I'll try to track down some graphics of LEV (local Exaust Ventilation to you)

Back