Air Filters or Airshield??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
I am getting more and more concerned about the dust in my workshop (aka garage) and suspect I ought to add to my Axminster ADE1200 Extractor. My work is hobby only, for a few hours a week.

I have found the threads on the Airshield very interesting but remember that a while ago there was a similar discussion about air filters such as the Axminster MTM or Jet AFS500.

I would welcome opinions on whether the Airshield and these filters are alternatives, and if so which is preferred. From choice I would rather not have to wear nearly 2lbs of mask all the time I am working!

Best wishes - Roy

The dust ("chip") extractor is the main cause of the fine dust as it is blown out of the bag (less than 2 micros) The airshield is great but you need to wear it.I find that I have just one cut to do and dont put it on. I now have 2 batteries so it will run for 8 hours. It would be far better to locate your extractor in a cupboard outside the garage. I am building a cyclone with further dust filters( .2Micron) to try to remove more dust.

Barry I really think you should have a website log of your adventures in dust extraction cyclones.. it's fascinating stuff!

Roy,

The airfilter is a great addition to the workshop but in no way replaces the use of a mask. Your lungs are much closer to the machinery than the filter is. If you have to make a choice then go for the mask. The filter will keep airborne dust down and makes a big, big difference to workshop surface dust.

I wear a mask in the workshop while I'm actually cutting, machining etc and leave the air filter on in the background for a good hour or so after. The advantage of the filter is it does mean that you can take your mask off more quickly.

Cheers

Tim

Back