Air filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymien

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience of this air filter from Axminster? Either good or bad?

Axminster Craft AC15AFS Air Filter

EDIT: Just realised there's an almost exact thread from a few days ago...that'll teach me to write the post on my phone having not had a reading session for a few days. Apologies for the repetitive post! Mods delete if you wish.

Last edited:
This looks similar to the Record Power AC400 in my small shop. I considered the AC15AFS, but the AC400 was available from a local vendor and had free shipping.

I'm very happy with the AC400.

I had the Record Power version of this a few years ago. It was good for what it was supposed to do, and the facility of running it for a time after you were done for the day was a pretty handy feature. Sadly mine was affected by the much reported PCB issues so after it went wrong for the third time I got rid of it, hopefully RP have rectified the issue.

As suggested it's probably a badge-engineered version of the Record AC400 (or vice versa) and a couple of other brands.

I've got one fixed to the ceiling of my workshop and it does a good job - the one issue is that the remote control is a bit flakey needing to be fairly precisely aligned with the sensor on the box to activate it (Record did send me a replacement remote fob unit but that was no better) - I can live with it.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a look at the Record Power version to compare the price.

The RP comes with the mounting kit, the Axi seems to need another thirty quid for that bit.
Axi claims slightly quieter

The Record "kit" is just 4 bits of chain and some screw hooks - not brilliant and awkward to load the box to the chains as it's quite heavy and heavy at one end. I made a cradle fixed to the ceiling joists for mine - and being tall I have "pockets" in the cradle to store the remotes for the filter and to start up my dust extraction

air-filter.jpg

I have been considering one of these but also wondered about making one.
Replacement filters can be bought and are not too expensive for the Axminster unit. There are whole range available from dustspares.co.uk too.
This leaves the chassis which I would construct from ply plus the fan/fans (which I am researching) and the timer/remote which I might do without and use a plug-in timer instead.
Anyone built anything similar and willing to share any tips please?

I have been considering one of these but also wondered about making one.
Replacement filters can be bought and are not too expensive for the Axminster unit. There are whole range available from dustspares.co.uk too.
This leaves the chassis which I would construct from ply plus the fan/fans (which I am researching) and the timer/remote which I might do without and use a plug-in timer instead.
Anyone built anything similar and willing to share any tips please?
They are very easy to make using old cooker hoods. The motor is the same type that is used in air filters having the intake on both sides and are usually 3 speed as well. Unless you are going to hang it high the remote is not needed. As it is the big Jet one I have in the garage workshop turns itself off whenever I turn the hoover on which is a pain in the proverbial.

Attachments

• filter (1) (Copy).JPG
    filter (1) (Copy).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 22
  • filter (2) (Copy).JPG
    filter (2) (Copy).JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 22
  • filter (3) (Copy).JPG
    filter (3) (Copy).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 21
They are very easy to make using old cooker hoods. The motor is the same type that is used in air filters having the intake on both sides and are usually 3 speed as well. Unless you are going to hang it high the remote is not needed. As it is the big Jet one I have in the garage workshop turns itself off whenever I turn the hoover on which is a pain in the proverbial.

Thanks Neil, didn’t think of cannibalising a cooker hood.
In fact it’s such a good suggestion, I ended up placing a £10 winning bid on a new but incomplete cooker hood on a popular auction site.
Unfortunately the seller canceled the sale minutes after I paid 😡 - I’m still waiting for the ‘pending’ refund 🤬- so I’m back to scouring said auction site plus a popular social media marketplace for a suitable donor.

I bought a secondhand powered filter for hay fever sufferers and fitted new filters to it. Quite reasonably priced. If you are doing it DIY just make sure you get good filters that can go down to 5 microns or so, if you have a fan blowing a filter that only catches large bits then you are just recirculating the smallest particles, which are the worst for your lungs I believe.

Dust particles under 10 micron are the most harmful. 5 micron is not fine enough. You need to get down to 1 micron or smaller. Best is to get a cartridge filter and put a fan on it so it is drawing the air through the cartridge. Take to outside and blow it out as needed.
https://www.djnuk.co.uk
Pete

I got an old Axminster Perform one for sale on Ebay at the moment.
Am I allowed to even write that?
Apologies if not - didn't want to upset anyone

I got slagged off for my effort below on this forum but who cares.........
it cost nothing to make and does a good job.....I have 3 in use, all switchable independantly....easy to clean....I brought them with me for use in my new w/shop.....def wont buy from AXI or RP....over priced, badged enginered equipment....
the filter is from a 500HP Scania truck (the skips are full of them at the truck repairers), fan is 11cub/m per hour from a bathroom remodel....new about £20.....
they hang on the flouresant light chains and take power from same....the fan is only a few watt's so wont interfere with the power source..... on/off by a hanging switch....
I have plenty of head room in my shop........
I will build forth unit but this time incorperate a timer for the thickness sander so it stays on for 20 mins after I turn off the machine.........
there's a safe quick release elec conector, so every once in a while I take them down and outside with an air line for cleaning....
the first one I made must be over 10 years old and no idea how old the fan was as it came from a skip.....hahaha...
lastley the air/dust travels in from the outside...the inside is always clean......
just think about it, a replacement engine for a high HP truck will be around £20,000, they aint gonna wreck an engine for a lousy air filter system...
so good enough for them, good enough for my LUNGS.......tara.......
100_2174.JPG

will not buy from AXI or RP.....

Filtering: Hoping to achieve 1micron either by buying the filters from RP or Axi or combining a G4 panel filter followed by an F6 or F7 pocket filter from Dustspares.co.uk

Fans: I was looking at using two of the quiet kitchen/bathroom extractor fans or maybe a larger axial fan like the one below until Neil suggested an ex cooker hood fan which is the route I’m pursuing now.

https://vevor.co.uk/products/10in-a...2cUp5efi5P8fQYqiA87V-p-5c2bFZGDQaAknJEALw_wcB

I have my dust extractor in the "loft space" of the garage, and then two airbricks either end so not much of the fine dust makes it back down to the space where I am.

Only issue with big ventilation is if its cold you cannot keep warm easily!

I got slagged off for my effort below on this forum but who cares.........
it cost nothing to make and does a good job.....I have 3 in use, all switchable independantly....easy to clean....I brought them with me for use in my new w/shop.....def wont buy from AXI or RP....over priced, badged enginered equipment....
the filter is from a 500HP Scania truck (the skips are full of them at the truck repairers), fan is 11cub/m per hour from a bathroom remodel....new about £20.....
they hang on the flouresant light chains and take power from same....the fan is only a few watt's so wont interfere with the power source..... on/off by a hanging switch....
I have plenty of head room in my shop........
I will build forth unit but this time incorperate a timer for the thickness sander so it stays on for 20 mins after I turn off the machine.........
there's a safe quick release elec conector, so every once in a while I take them down and outside with an air line for cleaning....
the first one I made must be over 10 years old and no idea how old the fan was as it came from a skip.....hahaha...
lastley the air/dust travels in from the outside...the inside is always clean......
just think about it, a replacement engine for a high HP truck will be around £20,000, they aint gonna wreck an engine for a lousy air filter system...
so good enough for them, good enough for my LUNGS.......tara.......View attachment 110826
will not buy from AXI or RP.....

Clogs, that looks a neat solution.
2 quick questions;
1. Did you put the fan drawing air out or pushing it in? (I assume the former, so can not getting dirty)
2. Do you know what micronage, (new word, no copyright), it has?
Thanks in advance
Greg

Truck filters are about 5 micron and under. The smaller the particle the more get through the filter media. The more efficient the filter the less dust they will let through. That is one of the reasons to be suspect of dust collector filter claims. Two might claim to be 1 micron but when you read the fine print one says 99.9% and the other says 99.97%. The latter is better than the first by a lot but still not as good as one with 99.99% or better rating. That 0.02% difference means something when you want to remove the harmful dust.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/s...F & AF899NF for Mining Applications Flyer.pdf
Pete

I've had an Axminster version of this for ten years or so. Seems to do the job of clearing the air.
My issue, the 'remote' has failed, Needs a brush handle to poke the main control!

Latest posts

Back