Air compressor size (litres) for cabinet spraying?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popshw

Reaction score
What size air compressor would be required for cabinet spraying. Had a look online but even smaller units (24 litres) are recommended for spraying although that seems too small without regular refilling?

With a 50l tank, I could just barely manage to spray a 2m2 area.
Depends on the gear your have, the finish you're using, your compressor pump...
People make do with what they have, but at least a 100l tank would be a minimum I'd recommend.

To size the air compressor you have to know the airflow needs of the devices, spray gun in this case and get a compressor that can continuously supply that and more.

Pete

How big is the cabinet and what sprayer are you using? 100 litre is probably minimum.

If you're just starting out your research and it's for DIY, look first at electric spray guns (e.g. Wagner from Screwfix to start with). Compressor spraying is much more complex/expensive than it looks! My Wagner gun is a doddle in comparison.

You probably don`t want to do it with a normal gravity or syphon gun.

Look into air assisted airless systems. They work quite differently.
Mine uses air power but mostly to run a pump, these type of systems force the paint through a nozzle at insane pressure which causes the basic atomisation then there is a small fan of air (the air assist bit) which is to even out the pattern and give a smooth fan.
You don`t need to thin the paint at all, they produce much less overspray and will lay on a lot of paint per coat compared to a normal gun, so less coats overall.
There are other types which use electric pumps instead of air powered pumps as well.

Not sure how much you are planning to paint but once you try a Kremlin or similar you won`t go back.

Minimum 150 litre 3hp compressor for almost anything though really.

Ollie

Another option is to manifold two inexpensive pancake compressors together, much easier to take t site

On site I have used a thomas compressor, which turns out a continuous 50PSI, annd manifolded that with a pancake compressor. to provide back-up.

the coninuous (thomas) compressor puts out hot air, so I had to put a coil of copper to cool it down-without that overheats your hose connections and it comes apart.

regulator on the gun controlled gun pressure.

An airless spray unit is also good. finished myriads of cabinet and man-doors, thousands of feet of base and casing with that. It too is easily portable doors with that!

Air assisted airless is thee too but mucho dineros for a good gun.

Eric in the colonies

Having looked at this recently, if you want to go down the air compressor route, have a look at the Gentilin options. For example, the CSK240/24 is rated for spraying, and is only 67db from Gentilin Air Compressors at Sprayman UK - SpraymanUK. It's less about the size of the tank and more about the rating of the compressor itself and whether it can keep up with the air demand requirements.

If you don't want to go down the air compressor route, I liked the look of the Graco GX FF Airless sprayer Graco GX FF Airless sprayer | Spray Plant as it's the best middle ground between spraying cabinets and spraying a room. It can do both if you change tips. Haven't hit the button yet, but that's the one I settled on.

Sprayman also do the GX21FF Graco GX21FF - SpraymanUK that can do both too but is higher rated for doing rooms on a regular basis. The smaller pipe diameter and hopper mean you use much less paint (you'll loose 100-150ml from memory).

The Graco Ultra hand held only does a 150l before requiring a new turbine (£150-200).

Or, if you decide to step away from spraying, I like the Two Fussy Blokes 4" smooth roller - gives a decent spray-like finish.

There is another way to go and that is a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) setup. Instead of a compressor it uses a compact fan/turbine unit blowing a lot of air through a larger hose than a compressor uses through a matching gun. Fugi and Apollo have been making them for many decades and they are proven systems. There are other brands now too. I had a friend that used one to lacquer all the cabinets and furniture he made and sold since the 80s. Very simple, portable and compact. Another benefit is they have less overspray so waste less finish and you don't need water separators etc. You should look into them even if you want a compressor for other uses.

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/tipstechniques/which-hvlp-spray-finishing-system-right-you
Pete

Latest posts

Back