Air cleaner/filter unit.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So the workshop is only small and I'd really like to get an air cleaner/filter unit to help remove air Bourne particles.

Thing is that they all seem to be pretty big, the shop doesn't have the ceiling height for it to be up there, I would have to mount in on the wall and vertically.

Matt off of Badger workshop on the tubes has done that even though the filters units aren't supposed to be mounted that way are they?

Does any one know of a super small compact unit? Shop space is about 10'x8'

Cheers.

I use a record power one. There are many generic ones that are clearly the same in different colours.
It works OK, but the filters are quite expensive.
It is just a small centrifugal fan pulling air through a filter.
I use an extra layer of "paint stop" fabric on mine from my spray booth extractor.
If I were to replace it I would make my own. If you find a cheap source of filters that are a standard size and build a box for them you will save money longterm.
You tube is full of guys using "box fans" which seem to be ubiquitous in America but rare here.

I don't think it matters where you mount it too much, as long as the air can circulate.

Try microclene (they changed their name now) they make all different sizes.

Ollie

Last edited:
I have a SIP circular filter, similar to the record power one I imagine.

Cheap purchase off gumtree/eBay.

Proper filters are stupid money but RS components do rolls of various grade filter material which you can just cut to size. Much more economical.

I've had a Microclene and a jet one for years. Never replaced any of the filters on them despite maybe 15 to 20 years regular use and a lot of dust !

What I do instead is take the filters outside and blow them clean with compressed air for the jet ones, coupled with occasional vacuuming of the main external surface, and the microclene one gets a good shake outside and a bit of a bashing with hand or stick !

I always wear a suitable mask and stand upwind when cleaning them of course, no need to replace them though as far as I can see !

I think Microclene may have gone out of business when the owner retired a while back, but don't take my word for it !

I have a RecordAC400 (same as Matt on Badger) - but mine is mounted on the ceiling - there's just room for me (at 6'4") to walk underneath it. See pic. It works with a remote (in pocket on the right of the box) to switch on and off, time, etc BUT the beam on the remote isn't that good - you need to be pointing it pretty accurately at the red switch spot, and quite close. The white remote fob on the left is to switch on my dust extraction
air-filter.jpg

Microclene are now Thor Filtration. I think they say they are the guys who used to do the actual manufacture.
The colour has changed to grey from that crappy cream and brown colour scheme.
I've had one of the biggest units (intended for centre of ceiling mounting on chains) apart.
It's very simple, just a good quality, name brand, centrifugal fan with the motor built into the central hub, installed in the pressed metal enclosure and using paint shop filter type media. It's easy to have two sets of filter material and alternate them. They wash out easily enough and dry in a day.
They are a little noisy in use but very effective as long as you clean the filter often enough.

Microclene are now Thor Filtration. I think they say they are the guys who used to do the actual manufacture.
The colour has changed to grey from that crappy cream and brown colour scheme.
I've had one of the biggest units (intended for centre of ceiling mounting on chains) apart.
It's very simple, just a good quality, name brand, centrifugal fan with the motor built into the central hub, installed in the pressed metal enclosure and using paint shop filter type media. It's easy to have two sets of filter material and alternate them. They wash out easily enough and dry in a day.
They are a little noisy in use but very effective as long as you clean the filter often enough.
Yes microclene (Thor) always had a good name ...

Back