AI meets CNC woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it's only a matter of time before AI meets a CNC machine and comes up with it's own designs, then what would we call it? they could abandon us entirely and come up with their own thing and even create their own consciousness and refuse to work with humans.

I was reading sci fi books in the very early 60's about computers that became autonomous and subjugated the human race. But that didnt stop the egg heads from carrying on and making all our nightmares come true. :shock:

That's funny Sunnybob. I saw this documentary where the machines had become self aware and sent a big Austrian guy back in time to kill the leader of the human resistance before he could be born.

Luckily the melted the Austrian guy in a foundry which it seems, for now has halted the progress of the machines but, I imagine what you describe was the first step of the unfortunate chain of events that led to time travelling robots trying to wipe out humanity.

It's odd because I never saw any mention of it on the news, or in any newspapers and you'd think the press would be all over it.

When will we learn?

You never read about it because the AI's control the media. :roll:
Do you realise I have watched advert for a mobile phone that is AI controlled? :shock:

I was an early reader, and in the late 50's I was reading science "fiction" books that had been written in the 30's, mostly by very famous scientists. None of it is fiction anymore.
The one thing that all those scientists did not predict was digitisation, they were running giant starships on tape machines.

The one I remember most vividly is where there was a monstrous computer running the world, and all humans were fit for was cleaning in the little spaces behind the machines. One day the human cleaner saw this trailing lead that was in his way and he pulled it so he could clean underneath, and the world died.

Its too late to run for the hills, just remember about the 13 amp plug when the time comes. :shock: 8) 8)

We all know Huw Edwards is actually an android, that stone-cold expressionless look, the monotone voice, always on time etc etc...

Huw_Edwards__3579113b.jpg

There's even video evidence of him glitching out and not reading the news on time all whilst pretending to do normal human things! A real person wouldn't have that happen!

[youtube]BzWcQ2nZVg4[/youtube]

Strangely enough I was watching 2001 (for the 1st time since it first came out - MUCH better in a decent cinema screen BTW) and as I'm sure everyone will remember, it was all (most) about HAL 9000, a very advanced "confuser" which never, ever, made a mistake or had any sort of failure - until he/it decided to kill the (human) crew that is!

Any computer applying logic to a human will just decide to delete the human. Thats why Asimov decreed the three laws of robotics all those years ago. But an AI is not bound by any of those laws if disregarding them solves a problem

Ha.. you'd love the series "Humans" if you haven't seen it.

Deals with this very sort thing, i.e. robots that can do everything (nudge nudge wink wink!) a human can and more.

Back