Aftermarket fence for Wadkin AGS 10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi
I've been lurking for a while, this a great site! This is my first post.
I am thinking of buying a Wadkin AGS 10.
I have built a router table with a Jointech CMS fence on it, and I have been amazed at the difference a really good fence makes. So when trying to decide what table saw to buy, I have been looking for good fences.
My current thinking is to look for a Wadkin AGS 10 at a good price, and then add a really good fence with micro-adjustment etc
Does anyone have experience of fitting a 'modern' fence to an older TS. Any recommendations of particular fences?

Also, do I need a sliding table, or just a good quality mitre fence?
Intended use is for making loudspeaker cabinets. Material will be veneered mdf and solid hardwood. I'll use a circular saw and straight edge for initial sizing of the boards. But for cross-cutting, am I better off with a sliding table, or a mitre gauge in a slot?

Thanks

Max

If I had the space, I would go for an Incra fence on my saw. The thing that I like most about the Incra on the router table is its ability to be returned to exactly the same position after using it at a different setting, followed very closely by its very fine adjustment possibilities - presumably also characteristics of the Jointech?

These qualities would make table saw work with the rip fence a very different beast than it is today, even when fences have micro-adjust. It would for one example be a delight for ripping thin strips on the side of the stock away from the fence.

The big problem is space however as the Incra would effectively double the space requirements for ripping capacity.

Hi Max,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Well after Neil’s introduction I am not sure quite what I should say. :roll::D

I have a 1972 10" AGS, loverly bit of cast iron. It still has the Wadkin fence, which is not micro adjustable compared to an Incra, but does have a small geared knob for making small adjustments. I have never used a micro adjustable fence, so my comments are not a good comparison. I find the pinion adjustment works well for me, allowing fine setting, remember that the scale on the fence is inches and the smallest division is 1/8". I use a steel rule to set the fence if I need to be spot on.
The fence is very strong, is clamped front and back being carried on a pair of large steel bars. It has four holes to allow facings to be held in place. I have a large 1" ply sacrificial fence for use with my dado cutter when doing rebates, just like Norm. 8)

My saw does not have a sliding table. I bought the Osborne EB3 mitre guide, again just like Norm. :roll: It has an adjustable bar for the mitre slot, so if the table is worn its not a problem. It makes cross cutting very accurate. The flip stop is very useful for repeat cutting of legs or draw fronts. I use the table saw with a fine blade for cross cutting instead of my sliding mitre saw.

I have a beard, just like Norm, :shock: but I don't wear plaid shirts or use a nail gun to fix trim on the front of furniture I am making while the glue dries and I have never seen Norm in a pair of clogs. :whistle:

Chris
I agree that an Incra or Jointech on a table saw would be the ideal, but like you I don't think I can afford the space in my shop for the overhang of the adjuster beyond the right hand table on wide settings
The idea of a combined saw/router station makes sense from the space point of view, but I think it might become inconvenient sharing the fence?
Dave
I don't have a beard, but I do have a plaid shirt and a tool belt - my girlfriends idea of a joke present last Xmas :lol:
Based on what you say, I will stick with the Wadkin fence at first and see how it goes.
The AGS I was planning to bid on went over my limit before I got a bid in :shock:
Cheers
Max

max_depth":2culjekc said:
The AGS I was planning to bid on went over my limit before I got a bid in :shock:
Better luck next time, they do keep turning up. :D

I think they are worth going after as mine will out last me with ease. :roll:

Hi guys,

I realise this thread is very old but thought I ask anyway. I have a wadkin AGS 10 in full working order. I'm looking for an aftermarket fine adjustment sliding mitre fence. I've measured the mitre slot on the saw with calipers and it appears to be 20.3mm. Does anyone know of a sliding mitre fence that would fit this slot? I've been looking at the incra 1000se or the osborne eb3 but I'm not sure of they'd adjust to this size.

Cheers

Back