Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

After a putty that epoxy resin won't stick to.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

oakmitre

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a blue tak / play doh / silly putty material that epoxy resin will not stick to.

Preferably to leave a smooth, clean release.

I'm trying to make micro usb barrel jacks using a drinking straw / micro usb jack and clear epoxy.

I need a putty I can press the micro usb connector and a drinking straw into, before pouring the resing.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
light coat of vaseline - don't matter what you use then, it won't stick.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
You can use mold release available in spray cans. A little goes a long way. Some contain silicone so keep it away from your woodworking areas if you use any hard finishes.

Pete

oakmitre

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've attached some pictures of what I want to do.

The drinking straw was filled to the top with epoxy, but it leaked.

I want to push the connector ( which I have sealed the side holes on ) into some putty to seal the end. Then put the straw on the outside to mould the barrel.

The example shown works fine electrically, but I would like to make it a bit nicer. I don't want to have to cut epoxy from the end.

Attachments

oakmitre

Established Member
Reaction score
I managed to solve it.
After soldering.
Paint the socket with a very thin layer of silicone grease. Dip the socket into candle wax. Once the wax is set,push of the external wax using a cocktail stick. Rub the outside with alcohol to remove the silicone grease.

The push the connector face down into blue tac rolled thin. Push a 9mm diameter drinking straw section into the blue tac.

Then pour the resin:)

oakmitre

Established Member
Reaction score
Once the resin is set, dig out excess wax with a cocktail stick. Then dissolve out the wax from inside the socket with lighter fluid or thininers