After 6 hours.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Chris (waterhead) posted this link about carving quite a while ago....

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2141

This got me a bit interested, and I managed to visit Chris today. Chris very kindly spent a whole day showing me the basics, and I proudly returned home with a 'showpiece' which suitably impressed SWMBO.

I never knew how hard carving was to do well, each mistake seems to glare out depending the angle of the lights, but I managed a passable attempt in the end.

Chris patiently showed me how to do the corners over and over, and it kind of sunk in, in the end. Switching to holding the chisel with your right hand, and clumping it with a mallet in my left hand took some getting used to as well!

Thanks once again.....

Me before realising how difficult it was....

original.jpg

Me after 6 hours (is that is? I hear you ask?)

large.jpg

large.jpg

Not only did I have a lovely day out, Chris wife supplied sandwiches as well. Thanks to you both.

Adam

Adam/Chris, how is the piece secured on the plinth? I see one small dog?
Great effort Adam.

Noel

Gosh, nice job, Adam. And Chris too. When you starting the courses then? :D Hmm, you should build that into a mantlepiece. Then you'd have an Adam fireplace... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Very nice piece :D
Good job your name is Adam as at 1.5 hours per letter you would still be there if it was Christopher :wink:

Looks pretty wonderful to me... it was already on my list of "wood-related skills to try" and I think you may have nudged it up the list a bit :).

What's the wood?

Nice work Adam. Wouldn't mind a go myself but suspect that one needs a modicum of natural ability and so maybe not :roll:

Catering too eh? When I'm next in the neighbourhood Chris.........

You stated that you held the chisel with your left hand. Are you normally right handed? Or is it to perform certain angle cuts you have to switch tool holding positions?

Anyway looks like there might be space to add Eve to the plaque, but be careful you know what happened to them :shock:

Adam,
well done. To dive in with lettering which has to be precise to look good is very brave. My wife has been craving (in between child care) for 6 years (at eveining clasese) and deliberately avoided letter carving for this reason.

Did you get to see the rocking chair as well?

Andy

dedee":144dnzlp said:
Did you get to see the rocking chair as well?
Andy

Yes, and it really is superb! It's a very very complicated piece to make - with all the curves, and angles. Chris is a pretty smart cookie.

Adam

That is very impressive indeed: on the point about 'natural ability', would you say that you agree, as I have always wondered exactly the same: I'm sure that my first efforts would look more like I tried to do the carving with a router and finished the job with a 12 bore... :roll:

That looks great Adam.....either your a natural or Chris is a bloody good teacher! :lol:

Can anybody recommend any good books on letter carving, you've got me interested now! :wink:

SimonA
PS. Chris, just out of interest what you working on at the mo?

Adam,
It was great to have you here and super to meet yet another member of this forum - we seem to be a pretty good bunch :) I thought you did very well - definitely a reason to get a few carving tools - they are small enough to fit in your workshop too!

Noel, the work piece was held with these Veritas thingies

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... currency=2

I find the Veritas dogs in combination with the holes in my bench (drilled in a grid at 6 inch centres), very useful for holding work.

Anyone who wants to try their hand is welcome - my fees are very reasonable :lol:

Simon, I have just finished helping a friend build some stuff and am now between jobs as it were. Haven't quite decided what comes next but it could well be another chair, I have a friend who has voiced a keen desire for one. I am also considering a new workbench, and toolboxes for my grandchildren but I also like the idea of doing some veneered work again. So much to do, so little time!

Back