Afrormosia Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a bit? I need about a meter of 1-1/2x1-1/2" (38x38mm).

Its to replace a couple of chair legs that have got damaged on some chairs I have been asked to repair and renovate. Now is there any substitute? Its very similar to Iroko and also is/was a sub of teak.

Try Sykes Timber (Atherstone, Warwickshire).

They've got Afrormosia listed on their website. (Sorry - can't do links for some reason!)

The last time I used Afrormosia it was very much like Walnut to look at.

Do these 1.5" pieces have to be in one, or could you get away with gluing two pieces together to make the 1.5" square? The reason I ask is that I do have some English walnut. I could let you have a strip, but it's only 1" rough sawn, about 2' 6" long. If it will help, you are welcome. :)

Cheshire Thanks. I have gave them a call and there getting back to me.

Bench. Yes they need to be 1 piece. There chair legs to which the chairs are air lums the clients father made. To look at if I was ID'ing I would have said there Iroko, I have never knowingly seen Afromosia but african woods are not my strong point. She said her father used Afromosia as its very much like Teak and he had nasty reactions to Teak. Looking myself I found that they refer to it as African Teak but found no suppliers. Thank you for the offer its very kind!

You're welcome Hud.

Hope you get sorted with Sykes. I deal with them myself for good furniture jobs. (But then I am just making stuff for me these days! )

All the best. :D

Back