AEG double built in ovens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
The lamp bulb went in the bottom oven and I could not get the glass shield off (inside the oven, to change the bulb) Nobody at AEG/Electrolux would tell me how to do it, they wanted to send an engineer (to change a light bulb, the top oven the glass cage unwinds).

It took two days to get the gen. If you have the same problem you put a screwdriver under the glass edge and lever it off. The bug.

That would have been a £70 call out charge plus the bulb which is Halogen and pricey. (£16.)

I contacted Belling for the price of a replacement door seal, (universal ones do not fit). They replied with a price of £57 !
I emailed them thanking them for their response stating 'that i only wanted the price of the rubber seal not the entire door!'
they did not reply.
the oven was only £200 new!

Most spare parts are expensive - the top and bottom racks on my elderly Bosch dishwasher are rusting away - replacements would cost £200.
About half the price of a new one?

Rod

When looking for kitchen appliance spares always try places like espares or partsmaster before the appliance manufacturers. Service is usually better and so are prices. I don't think they will be able to help much with the Bosch dishwasher racks though but your local appliance repairer probably will.

Richard

The Electrolux dishwasher we put new into the new kitchen about 2 years ago has an LED light inside (no idea why)! About 6 months back it "blew" so called Electrolux (still under Warranty) and they sent a bloke. I watched him change it - a quite complicated PCB built into a "pocket" into the sidewall of the machine.

If (when) it blows next time I'll just leave it (can't see it serves anything other than a "fancy" purpose anyway - if yu wan't to see inside you just open the door!!) because that paert looks rather costly and it's a goodly half hour job to change it. Fortunately it doesn't affect the actual functioning of the machine one iota.

I get the feeling that appliance manufacturers build this sort of stuff into their machines these days because a) they can; and b) it gives their service people something to do.

Krgds
AES

BTW: Here in Switzerland in 99% of cases the kitchens and cellars have 3 phase electrics built in as standard for cookers, washing machines, and dishwashers. Haven't taken advantage of this yet but it does mean a wider scope when looking at S/H machinery for the shop (in the cellar).

I got a replacement halogen bulb from our local electric supplies shop, cost £2.34.

AEG service wanted £16 for the bulb and they would not tell me how to fit it (to that oven)

There should be a law against doing that to a old age pensioner of my age. ??????????
Then I suppose also against a young newly wed repairing his oven for the first time. :wink:

Our AEG main oven has two lamps in it. A conventional small edison screw lamp and a small halogen capsule lamp both of which are cheap to buy online. I was horrified by the cost of the official replacements - just profiteering. Both of the lamps blew after about a year and I ended up removing them to ensure correct replacements. The screw in one is a special oven lamp but the halogen capsule is just a standard type - it took a bit of searching but it turns out the running temperature of the halogen lamp is way over the highest temperature the oven reaches.

Misterfish

Also remember it is not advisable to handle the halogen bulbs with bare fingers, they might fail if you do. I put my hand in a plastic waste food bag to hold the buly whilst pushing in.

devonwoody":y34yznir said:
There should be a law against doing that to a old age pensioner of my age. ??????????

Fraud and price gouging should either be allowed or not (probably not...)

Why should pensioners be special?

BugBear

bugbear":4enkkoqr said:
devonwoody":4enkkoqr said:

Fraud and price gouging should either be allowed or not (probably not...)

Why should pensioners be special?

BugBear

Our mental powers have diminished with advancing ages and therefore we are been disadvantaged and should have some protection from the greed around these days. :)

AES":1bcsecht said:
..BTW: Here in Switzerland in 99% of cases the kitchens and cellars have 3 phase electrics built in as standard for cookers, washing machines, and dishwashers. Haven't taken advantage of this yet but it does mean a wider scope when looking at S/H machinery for the shop (in the cellar).
Same in my Sons place in Bavaria.
Kitchen electrics are wired in low current wiring and cooker needs to be connected in 3ph mode to match wiring limits. We were told that the enforced 3ph use was a method of controlling the phase load balance in the area as supply cables are looped property to property and phase load allocation is not controlled between properties as it is in the UK.

Interestingly several of the machines such as pillar drills purchased locally and run on 3ph supply in the outbuildings have rotation direction changeover switches to accommodate inadvertent extension lead crossover connections.

Quite a thought provoking situation when first encountered, having been brought up with the caveat that you should never run an extension lead from your property into a neighbouring house because of the possibility of phase difference and exposure to 420volt differential between appliances.

Interesting. In Swizerland the 3 phase plugs & sockets have a combination of round & oblong pins (6 off) and can't be reversed. No fuse in the plug though (nor in single phase plugs either).

Krgds
AES

AES":r1f9aipx said:
Interesting. In Swizerland the 3 phase plugs & sockets have a combination of round & oblong pins (6 off) and can't be reversed. No fuse in the plug though (nor in single phase plugs either).

Krgds
AES
I think it's more a case of catering for wiring in extension leads being crossed in plugs/sockets by folks not bothering to check pin to pin connections. They are a mixture of 4 (3ph+E) & 5 (3ph+N+E) (16 & 32 amp) round pin euro connectors.

Back