Adze

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dave, that must be the one. This is from the transcript:

"The building itself will mostly be done by the Lahma family, several brothers who run a shipyard about 50 miles from Alexandria and have a lot of experience with modern wooden boats.

They're led by Mahrous and Reda. Their oldest worker, Mosaad, is the most familiar with traditional building techniques and tools, like the adze, achieving amazing precision with the simple, sharp tool. And they seem fearless about their toes."

Sadly, the full video seems to no longer be available to stream.

bugbear":159vnhio said:
Here's a picture of an adze being used for substantal shaping. I was amazed by the size of both the cut marks
and the chips!

it's from a book by Jack Hill.

bugBear

Known around the Wycombe/Chilterns area as a "Bottomers Adze" - look at the seat of a Windsor chair to see why!

An update:

I have won a straight adze on ebay, which should be with me by the weekend. It may be a bit on the large side- blade is 4 1/2" but i have a little project to try it out on.

I don't know- I thought you "won" an item at auction but it does sound a bit ridiculous now.

I purchased ...

Because of the ridiculous way in which eBay 'auctions' are run, it can feel as though you have won an item.

An auction ends when people decide to stop upping the bid, not when the time runs out.

Billy Flitch":2fuijrgy said:
Interesting to say the least, a Carpenters adze while having a cambered cutting edge also has a flat face so when you attempt to make a scolloped inundation you find that what happens is the back of the adze strikes the piece and bounces off. Both of the adze edges left and right cut into the stock and rag it out, the Carpenters adze is meant to create curves not scollops .

On the other hand the gutter adze that has shoulders (ie up stands) on both sides of the cutting edges can produce a scolloped finish and also a good curved edge to the stock.

The secret with the adze is ,its a tool make it do what you want it to do but treat it with respect.

Speaking from experience (I have done it several times), the carpenter's adze will produce a scalloped surface as the tool swings in an arc and the centre of the cambered edge bites first and cuts slightly deeper than the edges as it enters and exits the stock in its circular motion.

Well Sawyer I take into a count your experience but I stand by my post and say that a carpenters adze is made to make shapes in timber and not a scolloped face as you see on that table.

Latest posts

Back