Advise with Dovetail Jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhill Red

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am hoping to buy a dovetail jig this week and was hoping you could all advise on which one to get?
I am hopefuly looking at the cheaper end of the range ie- probably sub £100 , that with a couple of extra templates in the future would be capable of through dovetails and box joints.
Also a few years ago I read a review of a jig that you used in conjunction with a router table, It got a good write up for ease of use and quality of joint at the time , but now I cannot remember it's name or see it advertised, although I seem to remember it was Australian in orign, has anyone else seen it or own one?

Don't fancy saving a bit longer and buying a WoodRat instead? Then you can do good looking dovetails (variable spacing, more authentic angles)and just about any other joint you want as well.
A sub £100 jig? Nah, I'd do them by hand!

Redhill Red said:
Hi all,
II am hopefuly looking at the cheaper end of the range ie- probably sub £100

I just recalled that Axminster sell the STOT dovetail template to make your own dovetail jig with. Also a magazine recently had an article about making your own dovetail jig a la leigh using the dreaded MDF which seemed to work as they went on to build a propject with it. I think it was GWW and probably in the past 6 months.

Hi Red

Redhill Red":bzh8vpaj said:
Hi all, I am hoping to buy a dovetail jig this week and was hoping you could all advise on which one to get?

I have the Dovetail Template Master, unused, which you can see here: -
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21975&recno=3

It allows you to make your own dovetail jigs and gives you some variable spacing.

Yours for ten pounds, if you can pick it up from Hucknall.

Cheers
Neil

what about the sip it comes with extra templats and costs about £30 something . that will leave you with some change to buy neils jig :D :wink:

hi
my mate got a dovetail jig ,and the results are excellent, when he showed
me what it could do i was mighty impressed,but there was a nagging thought about weather he had made them or the jig, i know for a fact he aint got the handskills to make homemade d/t's and i think norms got a hand in this ,for whomever u mention the new yankee shop i forever hear echo's of "anyone can do it if they had his tools" and believe it or not there is some truth in what they say,so i have ditched the dovetails and opting for pipe and slippers instead,safe in the knowledge that theres far more pleasure making them with a tenon saw and chisel and coping saw, my mate can go back too dreaming about norm ,and i can get off my high horse
and drink my milk

Back