Advise please for Mortise chisels for multico M

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d look out for Ridegway, Clico, Wadkin and Robinson on auction sites. None are unfortunately still made but usually can be found for reasonable prices. I prefer English pattern to Japanese (double fluke rather than single). Clico made 3 sets of sharpeners that covered all sizes, a no2 covers the more useful sizes.

Last edited:
A single fluke can more easily pull the chisel to follow the softest route through the stuff. Not an issue with softwoods, but on aged oak it can be.

The ones I've had all just worked - I don't know if there are any cheap & crappy brands out there these days but the price might be a clue.

It's as well to standardise on either Japanese or English pattern because the chisel sharpening angles are different.

If buying used make sure that a previous owner hasn't trimmed the bit shank too short for your machine.

The ones I've had all just worked - I don't know if there are any cheap & crappy brands out there these days but the price might be a clue.

It's as well to standardise on either Japanese or English pattern because the chisel sharpening angles are different.

If buying used make sure that a previous owner hasn't trimmed the bit shank too short for your machine.

Good point.

The Japanese-made ones that I have behave very well but were supplied new with shanks that were deliberately left long so that they could be trimmed to suit individual machines.

Also, sometimes there is a degree of friction at the drill and its shank in use and I have found that a few drops of chain-saw oil at the top end of the drill auger improves the situation immensely.

Back