Advise on screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a wall which is a regular plasterboard with probably wood behind the boards with maybe a foot distance between each one.

I need to hold a few heavy items on the wall and would like to know what screw I would require which won't pull out as soon as a heavy item is placed on it?

Of course I'm new to this so maybe a name and picture would help just to make sure when I go into B&Q I know what I'm looking for.

The best I have come across are umbrella fixings but I use them for light to medium weights. I If its heavy then try and find a good fixing into the wood workbehind the plasterboard. I dont think any of the plasterboard screwfixings would work..

Spax and reissener are good but a bit expensive screwfix turbo gold are pretty good probably used about 3000 during workshop build last year no complaints on my usage obviously you'd need to identify studs for maximum strength

When you say heavy you don’t say what it is your putting up - to echo other comments I’d definitely find the studs and try to work from these as I’ve never had any success with plaster board fixings unless your hanging a few pictures they eventually fail ( imo) - also a note of caution ⚠️ look out for power sockets /water pipes and never assume the cable will go directly above or below these points , a cable detector/pipe finder/ stud finder can save you from hitting these services .

Here is another good option. They are available in different sizes, but note the warning about swing/cantilever brackets. If you are mounting something like a TV on the wall, you need to get it secured to the wooden uprights. If the spacing doesn't work, I would attach a horizontal cross member securely fitted to the wooden uprights and fix the TV bracket to that. Plasterboard fittings have their limitations. I never trust them for heavy loads.

It's not the type of screws you need worry about, it's the method of fixing. If you can't mount something to the stud work, fix a board (or French cleats) to the studs then fix the heavy load to to that. Don't hang heavy loads on plasterboard fixings - that way madness lies.

you want high quality plugs like fischer duo plugs, they expand as the screw goes through on the other side, as phil said not a good idea to fix anything heavy into plasterboard. Get a stud finder and screw into the stud if you can, it'll be much stronger.

screwfix turbo gold

My go to screw , the heads fall off the 4mms a little too easy but the 5s and 6s are top notch , I like the TX

@JamiePattison for something heavy I'd want to screw directly into the studwork. I'd go 2½ inches into the timber + don't forget the plaster board is ½inch so you'll need to sink the screws into the wall 3inches total

Length of screw is dependent on what exactly you're mounting ??

if possible I'd go for 6mm wood screws of the appropriate length, try these . Turbo II TX Double-Countersunk Multipurpose Screws 6 x 100mm 100 Pack

Last edited:
Back