Advise on Router for Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronan James

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am considering buying the Triton TRA001 Dual Mode Plunge Router for fixed installation into my proposed & imminent new router table build. I like the idea of this router because it comes with a Table height winder, its got lots of power and it takes my 1/2" and 1/4" bits. However, its a bit pricey and I am a mere hobbyist. Are their any other alternatives out that people could recommend? The Table height winder is very appealing so this or a similar mechanism is desirable in a more budget friendly option.
Thanks for any advice
Regards
Ronan j
1600334254535.png

I have a Triton TRA001 fitted into an Incra plate in one of my tables. Can't say I've been impressed with it. It's possible I just ended up with a bad one but the quality is not great in my opinion and the plastic is prone to cracking. Again maybe just me as I'm aware there are plenty of happy campers out there.

There are alternatives to router elevators and the likes of the self winding Triton such as the Router Raizer. In terms of taking a more budget friendly approach beyond the Triton I suspect you will need to enter the realms of the car jack / scissor lift or Ebay 'router lift' options.

I have a TRA001 fitted to one of my tables and I think it is a brilliant bit of kit. Only drawback is the power switch safety cover which can be a bit of a pain in the backside when turning on and off. I use the slightly smaller MOF001 for any 1/2 or 1/4 general hand held routing (just easier to maneuver over long periods) such as grooves/dadoes or mortices etc and edge shaping. From there I go to 3 Katsu 1/4" palm machines and then down to 3 different Dremel types in Veritas bases.

If you are permanently fitting the TRA001 to the table with no intention of ever using it hand held then you can remove the safety cover and connect in an NVR switch. someone posted a vid of how to in a recent thread (will post link once found)

I would thoroughly recommend the router, just remember to take the spring out. i have other makes as well but just like the balance of the MOF as a freehand machine and the easy of adjusting the TRA for height and no hassle spindle lock and one tool bit change that it enables.

My favourite router for use in a table is the Dewalt 625E Very easy to remove the springs and it also has a height adjuster, although from below the table, unlike that shown with the Triton.

The TRA001 is the largest and most expensive of three models Triton make on the same general pattern - if it's a bit pricey for you, look at the MOF001 or JOF001.

I've got the MOF001 table mounted and like it so far; just remember you'll need the power switch accessible unless you want to take out the safety interlock. Mine only had 1/4" and 8mm collets in the box, but it takes a 1/2" with no problem which I bought separately.

If you are permanently fitting the TRA001 to the table with no intention of ever using it hand held then you can remove the safety cover and connect in an NVR switch. someone posted a vid of how to in a recent thread (will post link once found)
Here are the instructions.
It's a ten minute job and well worth doing if you will only use the router in a table.

My favourite router for use in a table is the Dewalt 625E Very easy to remove the springs and it also has a height adjuster, although from below the table, unlike that shown with the Triton.
A bulletproof router if ever there was one. Son of the Elu MOF177 IIRC, and there are still plenty of those going strong.

I love the idea of the Triton tho - it's cleverly designed.

Another vote for the MOF001 here - I use it in a table and freehand, and its been perfect. 1/2 and 1/4 bits used regularly.

I bought a £30 router plate from Ebay which seemed well made, drilled the holes, all lines up etc.

I use mine in an insert I built for the table saw - I also have a larger piece of double thickness MDF which I attach to saw horses using the same plate if I need to do bigger stuff.

I even built an NVR to go with it.

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3765.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg

+1 for the Triton MOF001. I have one in a home made router table, and I can't see why anyone would use any other make. It is astonishing that people make, and sell, expensive router lifts for more than a Triton router...

Andrew

I also use the largest Triton. If it's going to be there for ever, may as well get the best one in that line, and have all the power you need.
Power switch is awkward without NVR fix, however I got used to it now.
The only thing I find is that it doesn't raise smoothly, it binds a wee bit on one side. However a nudge at the end sorts it out, so generally very happy.

Love the fine adjust from top, the auto spindle lock, etc...

I have the DeWalt 625, and use it in a woodrat and for some hand-held work, and still find Triton better and cheaper for the table. The 625 would be ok though, just not easy to fine adjust.

What I had before was this:

product-image.php

Which was fine as a hobbiest for a number of years, wheel to adjust height, variable speed, cheap. (this is £200 with router included).
However in the end I outgrew it, so did end up purchasing twice.

But if I had stayed in my garden shed 1m x 2m, I would probably still have it!

Back