Advise on new circular saw blades & thicknesser knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need to buy replacement blade/s for my Makita 2704. The existing blade is not so easy to find online but it's +_ £30. I'm keen to get a better blade but am suspicious of all the b*&^%ks marketing spiel ..the Makblade+ is over £60- does the price reflect the quality of the blade or the quality of the b**l s***t & the funky new styling?

The reason why I'm thinking to upgrade is because the blade that came with the saw (260x30, 40T, 20o, 2.3 kerf) has always 'wobbled' while cutting, leaving a slightly less than even/ straight cut. Is this the table or the blade quality that's doing this.

Can anyone recommend a brand of saw blades they swear by? (not at)

Then I need to sharpen my planer knives & cannot afford the price for a professional wet wheel set up - is there a hand held guide I can buy to do this on my glass base & paper..or do most people just buy new blades each time?

Thanks
Togalosh

Togalosh":12j0c7py said:
The reason why I'm thinking to upgrade is because the blade that came with the saw (260x30, 40T, 20o, 2.3 kerf) has always 'wobbled' while cutting, leaving a slightly less than even/ straight cut. Is this the table or the blade quality that's doing this.

Interesting
what you suggest is a 260 mm diamater blade with 30 mm bore
From a quick google search there are sites that suggest the blade may have a 5/8" arbor but one suggested 30mm.
If it is 5/8" and you dont have a reducing bush in the blade it will wobble about.

Not sure what you have indicated with.....20o, 2.3 kerf
I would suggest a blade with 3.2 kerf and 2.2 plate thickness would be best suited.
additionally 250 mm (nominal 10") are easier to source

I have a range of blades available for different applications.

The blade is fixed in place safely but the 'wobble' is a vibration, a resonance that makes the cut slightly uneven in part. It happens every 100mm or so..I'm not sure if this is normal or is due the the lightweight frsme or cheap blade .

20o (degree) I think is the rake - 5o and 10o being chop & mitre saw blades (cross cut) but 20o is for a table saw that does both cross & rip.

Can you quote me on 40T & 50T (250 or 260 preferably, 30 bore. 20o)

thanks for your reply

I would suggest you dont get too involved in the rake of a blade as your suggestion of the different rakes for different machines is not correct.
and you cant have a blade that does cross cut and rip.
a rip blade is for ripping
a cross cut blade is for cross cutting.

The only 260 blade I have available is Z=60.
£34.00 each nett
+ carriage
+ vat

250 diameter
Z=40
£25.00 each nett
Z=48
£27.00 each nett
both + carriage
+ vat

Doug

I recently bought a 260mm/30mm Atkinson Walker blade for my mitre saw and have been very pleased with it - excellent cut quality. Of course its not exactly cheap and I can't speak to longevity either. You can get those from their own website or Workshop Heaven.

Latest posts

Back